The Clinical Lab Support Rep will perform tasks in accordance with established policies and procedures as dictated by the specific section. Will provide patient services and administrative support in laboratory operations. Will interact with parents, patients, physicians, and other staff under moderate supervision in a courteous manner. Will provide assistance to other employees within their department as well as other departments. Will be responsible to collect, receive and process specimens, check for proper and complete patient information, patient registration, and perform other related services and clerical duties. Will train employees and others in the duties described in job description.Qualifications:Minimum Education
High School Diploma or GED (Required) Minimum Work Experience
2 years' related experience in an accredited clinical setting. (Required) Functional Accountabilities Specimen Processing
- Process specimens by centrifugation, aliquot and sort into specific test areas and for storage.
- Coordinate the pickup and delivery of specimens for specific areas of the laboratory.
- Troubleshoot specimen processing procedures.
- Investigate and handle improperly labeled specimens, requisition problems and inadequate specimens.
- Perform order and result entry, reference lab batch creation/release and special handling/packaging for send-out specimens.
- Greet patients and parent in a courteous and consumer-oriented manner, check patient into scheduling system and or update computer system information.
- Review patient insurance information for accuracy, collect demographic and insurance information, checks/corrects facesheet.
- Verify the insurance information is complete prior to procedure and collect and verify preauthorization/referral information.
- Complete computer-aided, on-line registration with parent/guardian via telephone or in person in a courteous and consumer-oriented manner.
- Answer inquiries and give test results by phone, answers general information and specimen requirement questions and route technical questions to appropriate area for answers
- Answer telephone professionally and courteous.
- Verify insurance eligibility and coverage for anticipated procedures.
- Notify parents of the need for completed insurance referral form or preauthorization of test requests.
- Counsel parents or refer parent to Manager or Coordinator for financial information and direction.
- When assigned, train employees, students, and others in the duties described in job description
- Enter patient information, test requests, cancellations, and additions into computer order program; perform computer searches for data inquiries and print and retrieve reports.
- Check test requisitions for completeness.
- Request additional forms or documents from referring physician as necessary.
- Confirm ICD9 codes are included and contact referring physician to confirm.
- Contact referring physician to confirm questionable test requests.
- Order tests in LIS; attach label to test requisition and place in appropriate location for specimen collection.
- Monitor and maintain daily records of laboratory equipment as required; maintain simple laboratory equipment and notify technician/technologist of unresolved problems.
- Order routine inventory and supply requests.
- Distribute forms/letters/mail/lab results.
- Maintain Lab Customer Service Desk files.
- Copy, fax and distribute documents.
Organizational Accountabilities Organizational Commitment/Identification
- Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary method; perform special procedures such as collection of specimens for sweat chloride test and administration of xylose.
- Conduct assigned routine laboratory tests such as urine dipstick, loading automated analyzers, preparation of slides for microscopic analysis.
- Set up simple bacterial/viral cultures and enter specific test results into the computer
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others' ideas and opinions
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear, and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors, and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
- Clinical Works
- Customer Demand Planning
- Customer Service
- Decision Making