The Packaging Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the daily activities of the packaging department. Assist packaging employees with issues and define whether the gaps are machine or people/training related. Provides recommendations for production runs on machines and alternative solutions within establishment. Essential Job Duties
Scope of Responsibility
- Coordinates the packaging floor schedule with supervisor daily and crew appropriately to estimate runt times, and inform supervisor of all production issues.
- Assists packaging employees with issues that arise during shift.
- Assists in developing One Point Lessons (OPL) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for training purposes.
- Maintains materials and equipment needed to pack finished goods (i.e. Formers, boxes, etc.).
- Trains and oversees new packaging employees which includes onboarding and on the job training.
- Participates in interviewing, training, and onboarding new team members.
- Leads meetings with packaging employees as needed.
- Reviews work orders and provide leadership and direction to packaging employees.
- Communicates policies to team members and acts as liaison between Managers and team member.
- Analyzes Quality and/or Machine data to identify trends, implement corrections, and make suggestions for improvement (i.e. Hertzler data).
- Checks scales, baggers, and production distribution systems daily to ensure efficient packaging runs.
- Ensures 1st case quality check is completed per guidelines and all information is accurate.
- Performs Leader Standard Work to ensure standards, centerlines and key performance metrics are upheld. Controls site specific packaging standards by making machine adjustments.
- Audits shift paperwork for completeness and accuracy, (i.e. Weights, Code Dates, film waste, etc.).
- Maintains log of all daily activities (i.e. holds, run off, down time, changeovers, etc.).
- Assists in coordination of supplies needed for daily production by communicating with lead operators, warehouse personnel, managers and other shift supervisors on a regular basis.
- Ensures case label printers are in working order and being used on all lines.
- Ensures product run off is handled and labeled appropriately.
- Provides input to and may help conduct team member evaluations in a fair and timely manner.
- Assists with implementation of plant continuous improvement efforts.
- Participates in 5S program compliance.
- Practices and adheres to appropriate safety and hygiene guidelines/procedures for safe housekeeping and personal protection; keeps work area clean; stores packaging room supplies in designated areas.
- Keeps work area aisles/exits clear and free from obstructions; removes trash from work area floor; keeps turntables clean; follows instructions for safe lifting/carrying of various sizes, shapes and weights; identifies/reports defective equipment; reports all job related injuries to supervisor.
- Functions in the role of a PMO as needed
- If applicable, leads shift quality checks and makes suggestions for adjustments.
- If applicable, completes time approvals, researches pay issues, validates punches and works centers as needed.
- May be required to work mandatory overtime.
- May perform other duties as required.
Working closely with the Packaging Manager and Packaging Supervisor this position will direct employees in daily activities on the floor, assign workload and crew accordingly and must be able to plan accordingly.
This job has no direct reports, however, in this lead position, leadership skills must be exhibited. Knowledge and Skill Requirements
Education and Experience
- Ability to write and read reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and vendors.
- Ability to apply basic math concepts. Ability to analyze data to identify specific trends.
- Ability to solve practical problems independently.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
High School Diploma or GED; a minimum of 1 year of experience as PMO; a minimum of 2 years in Manufacturing required. Travel Required
Minimal travel may be required.
Packaging And Labeling