World Relief is a global Christian humanitarian organization that is fighting for change that lasts, right here in the U.S. and across the globe. We bring sustainable solutions to the world’s greatest problems – disasters, extreme poverty, violence, oppression, and mass displacement. The organization is approximately 75 years old and has worked in over 100 countries around the world since its founding.
In the United States, we come alongside local churches, community organizations and hundreds of individual volunteers to support newly arriving refugee and other immigrant families. Today, we are proud to partner with over 6,000 local churches, and 95,000 volunteers globally to bring hope, healing and transformation to the most vulnerable. POSITION SUMMARY:
Are you a person of compassion? An advocate for justice? Someone who stands up for the rights of the vulnerable and speaks out for the marginalized, the exploited and the forgotten? Do you believe in our calling as Christians to welcome the least of these and love our neighbor?
If you answered ‘yes’, to any of the above, World Relief, and millions of people around the world need you.
The Dari/Pashto-speaking Tech Support Intern helps manage a lending laptop library so that adult refugees with limited English, literacy levels, and technical skills can access virtual education. This position provides basic digital literacy training and instructs clients how to use phones, laptops, and basic educational apps. ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Help clients obtain free phones and affordable phone plans
- Research and be familiar with reliable low-cost internet options for clients
- Set up clients’ phones and/or laptops for connectivity to department’s programs
- Set up, update, issue, track, and check in the department’s lending laptops
- Activate, issue, and track all technology distributed to clients
- Train clients in the basics of digital literacy (phone and laptop usage) by breaking down complex technical processes so clients can understand how to do it themselves
- Provide multiple in-person tech support visits to clients who are facing problems with their laptops and phones
- Assist with creating digital literacy training materials, including making short how-to videos for clients
- General tech support for department staff as required
- Strong communication skills in English and fluent in Dari and/or Pashto
- Familiar with WhatsApp and Zoom
- Be comfortable working with both iPhones and Androids
- Able to follow directions, learn, and retain new information quickly
- Strong skills in on-the-spot problem solving
- Able to work independently and self-manage tasks and time
- Able to work effectively and sensitively with people of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds
- Comfortable communicating with and educating clients with limited literacy skills and little English
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief
- Desire to serve vulnerable communities
- Fluent in Dari and/or Pashto
- Able to troubleshoot phone and computer problems
- Outgoing in meeting new people and quickly building rapport
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable personal transportation
- Pass a background check
- Commitment to a minimum of 10 hours/week
- Females only, in respect for the cultural values of the population served
Flexible work schedule, some remote work potential, training opportunities in ESL education and social work with refugee clients
While some internships are unpaid, the program is competitive and you are encouraged to approach it in the same way you would a job. Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume, application, and to pass a Criminal Background Check. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that an internship with World Relief does not guarantee a future job in the organization.
- Hardworking And Dedicated
- Problem Solving