Simply stated, Materion makes advanced materials that improve the world. We are a global leader in creating innovative, high performance engineered material solutions and services for a wide range of growth industries: high-tech consumer electronics, telecommunications, commercial aerospace, defense, medical, automotive, and many more.
Our products, services and expertise help enable customers’ technologies. We supply sophisticated thin film coatings for hard disk drives, specialty inorganic chemicals for solar energy panels, bio-compatible materials for implantable medical devices, specialty alloys for miniature consumer electronics components, optical filters for thermal imaging, critical components for infrared sensing technology, special materials for LEDs and much more. As the world’s only integrated “mine-to-mill” supplier of beryllium-based products, we also offer beryllium, specialty engineered beryllium alloys and beryllium composites.
As a team of 2,700 associates, we partner with customers in more than 50 countries. In 2017, we generated over $1B+ in revenues and made an exciting new acquisition that expanded our footprint in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
For more information, check out our video “Materion Is” along with other videos https://www.youtube.com/user/MaterionVideos/playlists of us showing you how we’re Making a Difference our shared purpose of” Making Advanced materials that Improve the World.”
Click on any of the icons below to connect with Materion on social media.
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE
The Senior Metallurgical Development Engineer conducts research, develops processing techniques, and other technologies within the Materion AMG R&D Team with a focus on the development of new products, services and markets. The position will also research and propose new production equipment, procedures, and methods to automate, improve, and/or scale-up existing processes.ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Process & Product Development
- Identify and develop novel approaches to optimize metal manufacturing processes, including alloying, casting, deformation, heat treatment and analytical characterization.
- For new development projects, conduct experiments, perform analytical characterization activities, gather data, analyze data, establish material property relationships, draw conclusions, and document concise technical reports with clear recommendations.
- Apply solid scientific understanding to the innovation and development of novel materials and processes. Drive analytical data gathering and processing for data based decision making.
- Scale and validate new product processes in conjunction with the R&D team and operations.
- Support identifying and evaluating new analytical technology relevant to current and future products.
- Ensure any sub-contract vendors are appropriately evaluated and selected.
- Make recommendations for capital equipment purchase. Evaluate metal processes and identify risk areas. Understand liabilities, yield, environmental and health & safety.
- Maintain awareness of trends and new developments in metallurgy through membership in professional societies and technical readings.
Sales and Marketing Support
- Provide necessary support to Sales in the formulation of new product quotes.
- Provide technical reports to customers for new qualifications and on-going technical analyses.
- Provide guidance on the potential viability of new materials and their manufacturability.
- Work with the Supply Chain Team to ensure material flow is maintained in the most effective manner and in accordance with ISO 9001 documented procedures (e.g. RFQ detail, Purchase Requisition etc).
- In conjunction with Purchasing, ensure Raw Material specifications are clear and concise.
- Provide the necessary support to Logistics to ensure MRP correctively reflects accurate material master data for development materials.
- Provide engineering support for all internal and external vendor process issues related to active R&D Projects.
- Work with the Supply Chain Team to identify, establish and evaluate new vendors for new materials and technologies for future growth.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- As part of the Stage Gate process, coordinate activities for the development of new products and services with Process Engineering, Quality and Operations. Ensure a successful hand-over and ramp up of developed and approved processes through the New Product Development transfer team.
- Support Process Engineering to identify, design, specify and drive innovative processing techniques for existing product improvement and new product development.
- Master’s degree in Metallurgy, Materials Science, Engineering, Chemistry, or related field.
- Metal casting expertise.
- Minimum of three years technical experience with engineering and scale up of material manufacturing processes, analytical techniques, and materials characterization
- Lean Six Sigma Green and/or Black Belt certification is preferred.