To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Seattle, WA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Varsity Tutors • Seattle, WA
Posted 2 hours ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Varsity Tutors is seeking an experienced functional leader to be a General Manager who will help with our continued growth through acquisitions and global expansion. This role will be responsible for new lines of business through acquisitions and work directly with our executive team in driving the organic growth and operational excellence of new verticals. The individual in this role will act as an entrepreneur and be responsible for executing Varsity Tutors’ key growth objectives within different sectors of the business, including marketing, P&L, and sales operations. The General Manager will also have responsibility for growing the business as a part of the expansion and development of Varsity Tutors’ evolving global strategy and annual business plan.
Varsity Tutors is a fast growing education technology company that is revolutionizing how people learn with new and innovative technology. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction to achieve any goal. To date, students have accessed more than three million hours of live instruction on the platform.
Varsity Tutors recently closed a $50M Series C funding round, bringing its total funding to $107M. The round was led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV. The funds will enable Varsity Tutors to further its vision of seamlessly connecting experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, at any time.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or related field
- 5+ years senior director level experience
- Commercial and budget leadership background with a proven management track record ideally as a leader in an online / B2C consumer/ marketplace business.
- Experience dealing with significant growth and ideally worked in a venture capital or private equity-backed business.
- “Hands-on” or “Player/Coach” entrepreneurial style, that looks to become involved in all elements of managing their functional responsibility, with high personal standards of commitment and integrity.
- Capable of driving the execution of a strategy to meet the company’s vision.
- Established success of delivering forecasted results within budget.
- Deep understanding of online marketplace dynamics and experience with marketplace business models.
- Experience in a fast-paced, driven culture - agile and able to adapt quickly, operating in a high-growth, dynamic environment.
- This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- Operate a Varsity Tutors business unit (either an acquired business or internally built organic business)
- Develop high quality business strategies and plans ensuring their alignment with short-term and long-term objectives
- Create and manage annual budgets and produce a detailed annual business-operating plan that includes monthly, quarterly or annual targets for revenue, profits, and cash
- Make high-quality investing decisions to advance the business and increase profits and revenue growth
- Review financial and non-financial reports to devise solutions or improvements
- Build and nurture a positive, customer-centric team culture, focusing on Varsity Tutors’ mission, vision, culture, leadership competencies, and act as a role model for the company culture
- Maintain a deep knowledge of the markets and industry of the company
- Enforce adherence to legal guidelines and in-house policies to maintain the company’s legality and business ethics
- Build trust relations with key partners and stakeholders and act as a point of contact for important shareholders
Keeps the Customer in Mind – Endeavors to understand the unique needs of learners and the experts and proactively seeks feedback to solve their issues.
Removes Friction - simplifies and automates to make life better for our customers in ways they will find valuable.
Exhibits a Bias for Action – Acts quickly and builds on what works and learns from what does not. When recognizing that something isn’t working, addresses it immediately. Carpe Diem.
Gathers Data and Uses Information - Ensures we are capturing data to make informed analytic decisions.
Is Accountable – Holds self and team accountable to clearly communicated goals and objectives. At the end of the day makes good on commitments.
Demonstrates Intellectual Curiosity – Always learning, always growing. Actively seeks out new ideas, new ways of thinking, and diverse opinions. Learns from others’ successes and, as important, from others’ failures.
Acts as a Steward – Manages the resources of the company in a responsible way. Is not excessive and maintains frugality, which allows us to keep costs lower and help more people.
Is Comfortable with Ambiguity – Acts with limited information. Knows that we are building a new future and will encounter unknowns, but forges ahead and doesn’t allow anything to get blocked.
Thinks Big – Builds for a better future, wants to help more people every day, and is bold.
Builds Teams – Hires exceptional talent and then takes time to develop and coach people. Recognizes and promotes the best people.
Varsity Tutors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer! We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law. Varsity Tutors will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with local and federal requirements.