City Experiences is seeking a Captain for our Marine operation in Alexandria.
City Experiences’ passion is to provide amazing experiences on land and water. Our 40-year success through organic growth and acquisitions has resulted in a portfolio of over 25+ brands that welcome upwards of 30 million guests/riders annually. If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you.
About the Opportunity:
Do you share City Experiences' passion for providing amazing experiences? If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you. As we say at City Experiences, why work when you can cruise? The successful Captains greet all guests and ensure each guest is attended to in an appropriate manner ensuring consistently high levels of safety, quality, service, and guest satisfaction, while maintaining a high level of profitability.
This person will be adaptable, dynamic, and embody City Experiences’ RESPECT Service System.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Rotate as cruise captain on cruises and ensure adherence to procedures detailed in the Product Management Guide. This includes thorough pre-cruise preparation, adherence to cruise scripts, supervision of crew, proper piloting of vessel, adherence to all Coast Guard rules and regulations, and guest satisfaction
- Gather pertinent cruise event details from the other departments to ensure special guest requests are fulfilled thereby ensuring complete guest satisfaction
- Conduct pre-cruise meetings and communicate to crew all necessary information regarding the cruise (special needs, boarding procedures, etc.)
- Ensure that staff and guests adhere to all safety standards and procedures
- Participate in the execution of the Safety Program, including emergency drills
- Participate in the proper maintenance of all ship’s systems and boarding facilities including but not limited to gangways, diesel, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, water (potable, raw, black, and gray), fire suppression, communications, and navigation
- Ensure adherence to Coast Guard rules and regulations, and other federal and local rules and regulations
- Ensure strict compliance to Emergency Response Plan
- Execute other projects as assigned by management
Operations Team Management
- Recruit non-exempt operations staff (crew) when necessary to fill vacant positions
- Deliver training to new crew
- Schedule crew according to staffing matrix
- Adhere to Company’s performance management guidelines for all discipline and termination situations
- Recommend to Marine Management the promotion of crew to full-time annual positions
- Develop positive working relationships with city department heads and peers
- Develop strong teamwork within the staff
- Resolve guest problems in conjunction with the on-duty Restaurant Manager utilizing strong guest service skills and exercising effective communication skills in keeping with company objectives and guest retention
- Oversee the implementation and execution of safety programs in accordance with Coast Guard regulations and established Company policies
- Complete all shift records: checklist, logbook, payroll, and documentation of safety training
- Ensure that incident reports are completed accurately and promptly
- Participate in administration of payroll system including scheduling, checking, transmitting and processing
- Execute collateral duties as assigned by Marine Management: uniforms, crew training, safety training, recruiting, scheduling crew and routine vessel maintenance
- Schedule crew work periods to achieve maximum payroll efficiency
- Attend all scheduled meetings
- Assist in accounting assistance including invoice processing
- Additional job duties as assigned
Requirements & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Must currently possess 100 ton license with a satisfactory record
- Minimum of five (5) years of marine experience—preferably to include two (2) years as a captain with an outstanding record
- Detailed working knowledge of all ship’s systems and their proper maintenance: gangways, diesel, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, water (potable, raw, black, and gray), fire suppression, communications, and navigation
- Must be able to operate vessel in accordance with all Coast Guard rules and procedures
- Vessel handling and navigation knowledge required
- Able to communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Able to effectively deal with internal and external guests some of whom will require high levels of patience tact and diplomacy
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities/tasks
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (especially Word & Excel)
The RESPECT Service System embodies City Experiences’ mission, vision, values and operating principles. By creating a company culture that puts RESPECT at its core, we believe it will drive us to achieve our goal of becoming a Global Experiences and Transportation Leader.
City Experiences is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military status, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, City Experiences participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Pursuant to applicable State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.