SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.
Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.
- The Technician, Laboratory Junior Minerals under immediate supervision performs routine laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of solid, liquid, or gaseous materials for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development by performing the following duties.
- Performs routine laboratory testing, following relevant company’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and methods.
- Prepares a representative subsample from client sample that meets specific requirements using defined methods (Dry, Crush, Pulverize, Pressure Filter, Mix, Riffle Split, etc.).
- Weighs and digest samples for analysis, using relevant equipment.
- May completes and maintain laboratory reports.
- Receives, sorts and logs client samples into the data base, and prepares samples’ labels.
- Archives, returns, or disposes of client samples as per established procedure.
- Prepares monthly composites.
- May performs daily, weekly, and monthly Quality Assurance/Quality Control checks on equipment.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits and enforces a clean working environment.
- Performs general upkeep and housekeeping of the laboratory.
- Ensures all equipment and containers are organized and cleaned before and after use.
- Ensures all personal protective equipment (PPE) relevant for tasks is worn as required.
- Ensures compliance with all required local and federal safety processes and procedures.
- May also have preparation or field responsibilities, as required by business needs.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent (Required)
- No experience required, unless required by state law (Required)
- Water lab only: Where required by state law, Post-secondary degree in science, or minimum 1 year supervised water testing experience. (Required)
Licenses and Certifications
- A valid and current Driver’s license may be required if the role requires driving a company vehicle. (Required)
- May be required to obtain a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Card). (Required)
- May be required to obtain 24-hour surface Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) certificate, training is available through SGS. (Required)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Language Skills: Intermediate English (Required)
- Advanced level (Preferred)
- Mathematical Skills: Basic (Required)
- Intermediate (Preferred)
- Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate level required, uses logical and practical approach to solve problems (Required)
- Ability to effectively communicate (in writing or verbally), presenting information individually or in small group situations to internal or external customers (Required)
- Ability to follow directions ensuring the end results are accurate and completed with the required timeframe (Required)
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations (Required)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals (Required)
- Ability to work independently and under moderate supervision (Required)
- Team player attitude, customer care focus (Required)
- MS Office (Word, Excel) – Intermediate user proficiency (Preferred)
Physical Demands of the Job
- Move or traverse:
- Use hands:
- Reach with hands and arms:
- Climb or balance:
- Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl:
- Lift/carry/push or pull: Frequently 50 lbs
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call
for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.
- Business Requirements
- Customer Service
- Health Administration