Quality System Engineer
The Quality System Engineer is responsible for providing influence and direction for Cleveland Cliffs’
Quality Management System at the Coatesville and Conshohocken facilities. The Quality System Engineer is responsible
for sustaining the Quality Management System per required customer specific and industry standards including ISO 9001, shipbuilding, nuclear and navy.
The Quality System Engineer is responsible for promoting a culture focused on continual improvement throughout the company, resulting in error prevention, improved performance and enhanced customer satisfaction. This is to be accomplished by building effective working relationships with key company stakeholders and process owners and by standardizing, controlling and improving the quality of processes across the organization.
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practices to aid and improve overall performance.
- Create and maintain a positive working environment that promotes teamwork, responsiveness and efficiency.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance.
- Liaise and communicate with other departments, customers, suppliers and other service providers regarding QMS needs and requirements.
- Communicate with personnel at all levels, internally and externally, in relation to quality system matters.
- Ensure the organization’s Quality Management System is defined and maintained to ensure conformance with internal, customer, ISO 9001 and regulatory/legal requirements.
- Monitoring and evaluating QMS activities including: audit management, management review, change control, document/record control, training, corrective action, risk management and continual improvement.
- Maintain and communicate plant quality related metrics to ensure clear visibility and understanding.
- Routinely participate in various plant level Management Review meetings to report on the performance of the QMS, including the need for improvement, and ensure appropriate actions are taken to resolve quality and customer problems.
- Manage internal audit program that meets the requirements of internal policies and external requirements to help mitigate risk and drive improvement.
- Insure the effectiveness of the corrective action and continual improvement processes to ensure priority, ownership and accountability.
- Ensure corrective actions are undertaken to address nonconformities and verify their closure and effectiveness.
- Implement all required and relevant QMS procedures and ensure all procedures are routinely reviewed, updated, revised and modified to meet the needs of internal and external requirements.
- Coach and train others in all aspects of the Quality System and application of procedures.
- Work with Purchasing to ensure a supplier audit master plan is implemented, and ensure evaluation of, and regular reporting on, vendor quality management system performance.
- Work with the support/service groups to provide an increasing level of service and responsiveness based on their needs to solve top quality issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or technical field
- Relevant manufacturing and/or engineering experience.
- Strong understanding of the requirements governing the establishment and maintenance of an Quality Management System.
- Experience as an active contributor on projects with scheduled deliverables.
- ISO 9001 Lead Auditor certification/experience a plus.
- A preferred candidate would be considered an expert with experience in some of the following areas: implementation and/or management of Quality Systems, Product Quality Planning, Lean/Six Sigma methods, process control tools or other Quality Core Tools (i.e., FMEA, Control Plan).
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Outstanding communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
- Great attention to detail and a results-driven approach
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of cross-functional team members
- Competent in problem-solving, team building and decision-making
- Able to multi-task and establish priorities
- Well adept in MS Office products
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Product Quality Assurance
- Lean Six Sigma
- Quality Management Systems
- Change Control
- Failure Mode Effects Analysis