Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. The company is distinguished by its extensive product and service offerings, broad distribution capabilities, exceptional financial strength, underwriting excellence, superior claims handling expertise and local operations globally.
The VP, Claim Leader for Medical Risk oversees all medical liability risk claims for the Chubb North America Casualty Claims discipline. The position is responsible for all administration and the technical supervision and development oversight of the claims team. totaling 19 people, including three Managers/Supervisors, and sixteen Adjusters and Technical Assistants.
Major Responsibilities of the Job:
- Lead a team of Medical Risk claim managers and examiners, through the application of Best Practices and strong supervisory skills.
- Drive and develop the technical acumen of the team, which handles a significant number of complex and high severity medical liability matters.
- Management of Early Warning System (EWS) on severity claims for accuracy and timely reporting.
- Ensure timely and accurate reserving practices
- Provide guidance with respect to technical oversight of claims, including timely coverage reviews and coverage correspondence
- Control Legal Spend while ensuring superior claim outcomes
- Ensure compliance with Casualty Best Practices to ensure claim handling discipline and superior Quality Review and Audit scores.
- Management of Inventory to a 1-1 open to closed ratio
- Effective management of vendor quality and service, establish and assist in maintenance of vendor panels
- Close collaboration with Medical Risk underwriting and actuary business partners to help improve overall performance of Medical Risk portfolio departments regarding claim activities and trends as well as product development.
- Provide strong leadership as part of NA Claims leadership team
- Build and develop organizational talent
- Partner with HR to manage talent and diversity, succession planning and build pipeline opportunities.
- Develop and execute strategies to create and maintain a dynamic and positive work environment and culture that enables staff to develop personally and technically.
- Conduct goal setting and performance appraisals by established deadlines. Create and execute development plans as appropriate, develop ongoing strategies to obtain strong performances from all team members retain high performers. Hire and retain diverse staff.
- Develop and execute strategies to create and maintain a dynamic and positive work environment & culture that enables staff to develop personally and technically
- Foster clear and consistent communication for the line of business/tower on a regular and consistent basis
- Maintain an inventory of period training across the region and drive additional training opportunities in support of the discipline. Share training inventory and opportunities across region to maximize benefit and staff development.
- Foster clear and consistent communication for the line of business on a regular and consistent basis.
- Provide strong Leadership on key projects and initiatives that make significant impact on the line of business
- Drive claim teams/units to deliver better outcomes both in loss and expense
- Improve Large Loss Management Communication ‐ Large Loss Report (LLR) accuracy and clarity, presentation of claims to Senior Executives and/or Underwriting business leaders
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements as well as internal operational standards
- Demonstrate knowledge of severity files and trends
Service, Marketing and Communication
- Lead or participate in underwriting, actuarial, client or broker meetings regularly to promote relationships.
- Manage the resolution of claim issues/complaints raised by internal and external business partners.
- Effectively manage complex business issues and problems.
- Ensure satisfactory ratings in all Operational Audit results.
- Ensure team’s compliance with all service expectations and standards including development and implementation of actions plans as necessary to address deficiencies or training opportunities as identified by the audit process.
- Manage communication consistently with business partners on claim strategy, trends, loss notification and reserve committees.
- Lead efforts to collaborate with UW to promote producer and client relationships
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Strong leadership and management skills, ability to work with cross functional business units to achieve goals
- Strong communication skills and the capability of communicating at all levels within the organization.
- Experience, expertise and direct knowledge of medical risk claims, including Hospital, Long Term care, and other medical facility claims.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze claim trends and report on jurisdictional changes; ability to conduct staffing analyses
- Catastrophic Claim management expertise and oversight of complex and high severity medical liability claims.
- General industry trends and knowledge of legislative activities with regard to medical liability within the United States.
- Marketing skills and customer service skills
- At least 10-20 years of claim experience. active management of casualty claims either with carrier or in-house claims department, preferably medical risk claims, with 5 plus years experience managing teams of claims professionals.
- Significant experience managing claim teams handling medical liability matters.
- Juris Doctor preferred, or Masters/Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Superior organizational management skills required for management of average 2000+ open claims
- Must possess sound negotiating and communication skills.
Chubb strives to offer a diverse and inclusive and rewarding work environment. Teamwork and mutual respect are central to how Chubb operates and we believe the best solutions draw upon diverse perspectives, experiences and skills. We operate in such a way where everyone, regardless of their singular background has the opportunity to contribute to our collective success.
Chubb offers a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefits package including life, health and dental, vision, a generous retirement savings plan, disability coverage, stock purchase plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, and business casual dress. At Chubb, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to it. Our policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other conditions or opportunities of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran or marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Benchmarking (Project Management)