At Houston Methodist, the Senior Pharmacy Technician position is responsible for providing day-to-day comprehensive pharmacy services that range from routine to advanced functions. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: controlled substance management, chemotherapy compounding, unit dose dispensing technology, satellite operating room and intensive care unit pharmacy assignments, medication histories, and advanced medication compounding. This position assists with data collection and training new employees, residents, and interns; and may perform other functions normally associated with a Pharmacy Technician.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
* Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
* Proactively supports and assists with training new employees and all other pharmacy learners (e.g. residents, interns, students and volunteers). (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
* Assists with optimizing the safety and efficiency of pharmacy operations and to support the workflow needs of the pharmacy department. (EF)
* Contributes in departmental efforts to resolve drug related problems and maximizing patient care.
* Presents or assists in-services for pharmacy staff as directed by Pharmacy Management. Participates in workgroups, committees, and continuing education activities for technical staff. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
* Performs advanced technician services to ensure efficient and safe medication distribution with activities that include but are not limited to: controlled substance management, chemotherapy compounding, unit dose dispensing technology, satellite Operating Room and intensive care unit pharmacy assignments, medication histories, and advanced medication compounding. (EF)
* Provides support to the workflow, and reports problems to the appropriate parties. Accurately documents and completes paperwork for assigned role/function. (EF)
* Reports "near misses" and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
* Collects and reports data related quality improvement and productivity projects to optimize patient safety in a routine and timely manner. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
* Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Recommends solutions in achieving departmental objectives.
* Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
* Assists Pharmacy Management in planning, developing, implementing, and monitoring new pharmacy programs and services that address medication related errors and safety initiatives. (EF)
* Identifies simple process improvement opportunities in the medication distribution process. (EF)
* Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Senior Pharmacy Technician.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Two years of college preferred
o Two years of Pharmacy Technician experience applicable to the specific work setting (e.g., hospital, specialty pharmacy); may consider a Pharmacy Technician with one year experience as a Houston Methodist Pharmacy Technician
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas Pharmacy Technician Registration or Pharmacist Intern Licensure
o Completion of the 40 hours Sterile Compounding and Aseptic course from an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) approved training program within 90 days of employment (if applicable to assigned work area)*
o ACPE approved IV certification within 90 days of employment (if applicable to assigned work area)*
* See manager for details and tracking certification information
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Proficient in performing accurate calculations required for usual dosage determinations
o Must be proficient in at least three pharmacy work areas - examples include but are not limited to medication histories, advanced sterile compounding, Tech-Check-Tech, Pyxis coordinator, etc.
o Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, hospital/pharmacy related software, drug preparation pumps/devices, packaging and labeling machines, automated drug dispensing equipment, prescription balances, and portable data processing units
o Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
o Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) No
* Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: All pharmacy staff are required to be trained on the risks and safe handling of hazardous drugs; and confirm in writing an understanding of the potential reproductive risks associated with handling hazardous drugs
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital tied for No. 5 in Houston and No. 9 (four-way tie) in Texas in U.S. News & World Report's best hospital rankings in 2022. With 324 operating beds, 23 operating rooms and more than 2,400 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital provides comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
- Business Process Improvement
- Critical Care
- Customer Service