Only Those with a Passion to Change Lives Qualify.
At Southern Careers Institute (SCI), the core of what we do is passion. We're passionate about putting our students first to help improve their lives through education and career training. It's this passion that drives everything we do, and if you feel you have it burning in your belly, we want to talk.
We call it being a life changer, but you'll call it a job you love while helping others find the same. You'll have a hand in improving the lives of countless SCI students throughout Texas by working with impassioned educators and campus faculty in a collaborative, interactive environment to create optimized environment for our students.
The Academic Advisor is responsible for promoting an environment of academic and professional excellence for students by supporting student life and learning through student advocacy, academic coaching, customer service, and campus and community referrals. The Academic Advisor works closely with all campus departments to promote student success and support persistence endeavors. The Academic Advisor also assists with retention and attendance issues by reaching out to all new students weekly in their first mod and for contacting continuing students at least three times per quarter. The person in this position routes student complaints and/or concerns to the appropriate person and follows up to ensure resolution.
What you can expect when joining SCI:
- Training & Development
- Fun & Energetic, Family-Based Environment
- Continuous Growth Opportunities
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Options
- Health Savings & Flexible Spending Options (HSA & FSA)
- Basic Life & Accident Insurance
- Short & Long-term Disability
- 401K Retirement Plan
- SCI is an Equal Opportunity employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Ensures that the SCI philosophy of Student First is a priority when carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position;
- Maintains direct contact with student advisees. This includes meeting with individuals as well as small groups of on-ground and online students on an ongoing basis to build rapport, identify barriers to success, set goals, and develop action plans for academic success. Provide proactive and timely outreach, referrals, and intervention with student population through a variety of communication methods;
- Maintains attendance forms required by various funding agencies;
- Acts as a liaison between the school and the students with respect to admissions, program options, retention, program requirements and progress, and provide students with access to information on school policies, practices, and rules;
- Responsible for understanding the unique needs of at-risk student populations at the Institute and developing intervention strategies that facilitate student success and professional growth;
- Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will have:
- Associates degree required, Bachelor's degree preferred;
- 2-5 years' experience in the same or related field;
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and deal with ambiguity
- Ability to coach and motivate teammates and students for goal achievement
- Ability to research, critically think about and analyze student records and policy for resolution
- Business letter writing and report preparation.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving and customer service skills
- Ability to listen, understand and overcome obstacles.
- Ability to maintain a calm, friendly demeanor when assisting students.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Use initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, recommend best options and implement approved solution in support of corporate goals
About Southern Careers Institute
SCI has been changing lives for over 50 years, now and we're just getting started. We offer certification-based training with programs in Medical, Business, Cosmetology, Skilled-Trades and Technology with campuses spanning across central and south Texas as well as online. Our students can graduate most of our programs in under one year and with real-world experience under their belt.
Sensitive Compartmented Information (Sci Clearance)
Complex Problem Solving