SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.Job Description
The primary role of the Business Development Manager is to use business and sales experience along with understanding the industry to win business from prospective clients and generate new lines of business from existing clients.
- Identify and pursue business opportunities with current and new clients in assigned territory
- Promote SGS’ image and service listings in a way which will further the company’s objective
- Participate and prepare sales goals each fiscal year and track the progress to ensure that the objectives are met
- Create territory plan based on LSS business strategy
- Visit new prospects and new customers to sell and support SGS Life Science Services Biologics suite of services
- Grow LSS market share by winning new customers within defined geographic territory
- Identify prospects, perform need analysis, identify opportunities and follow up to close
- Promote North American network and expertise to prospects and customers
- Maintain up to date knowledge of SGS’s analytical capacity and capabilities
- Participate in strategic and business decisions regarding new service opportunities with biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device companies
- Execute sales activities, including sales planning, visits, reports and results
- Maintain current and accurate data in the Sales Pipeline tool on all sales activities within assigned territory accounts and their opportunities
- Adhere to Customer Centric selling methodologies
- Use internet, phone, tradeshow, market intelligence database and other lead sources to generate new opportunities
- Ensure communication and coordination with the labs to facilitate the successful handover and execution of the new and current business
- Participate in arranging and hosting prospective client visits to all North American locations
- Network with key players and maintain an understanding of external market developments to ensure SGS becomes the service provider of choice to a greater share of the market
- React upon business opportunities forwarded by Operations and inform them on progress
- Assist in decisions involving price structure and price negotiations with all final decisions to be made by laboratory Business Manager & Director of Biologics
- Ensure that any client complaints are forwarded to the appropriate individual(s) and ultimately resolved in a prompt and professional manner
- Review and/or prepare contracts as required (Master Service Agreements, etc)
- Report on developments in the marketplace and competitor activities
- Forward potential opportunities to other Business Lines as appropriate
- At all times, adopt a safe behavior by exercising due regard for the health and safety of SGS employees and clients, in line with SGS policies and procedures
- At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct
- Four year degree in relevant field field (e.g. business, marketing, life science). Advance degree preferred (MBA, MS)
- Five years of business development experience in sales/marketing required; within testing preferred
- Business development experience with pharmaceutical and medical device companies
- High level of written and verbal English
- Professional, high standards in personal presentation
- Background in pharm / biopharm preferred
- Ability to manage relationships under stress
- Ability to work and think independently and coordinate several activities simultaneously
- Good communication, interpersonal and listening skills
- Self-motivated and able to achieve shared objectives
- Ability to achieve and carryout effective selling techniques
- Ability to maintain service oriented mindset
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Maintain enthusiasm and perseverance
- Effective negotiation and persuasion skills
- Must have an understanding of microbiology and analytical chemistry
- Must possess solid critical thinking skills; must be able to anticipate and solve problems in a systematic manner
Licenses / Certifications
- Valid driver’s license, due to travel requirements.
- Requires up to 50% travel, but majority will be local. Overnight stays up to 20%. Schedule flexibility required to accommodate customer’s needs.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call
for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.
- Business Development
- Market Intelligence
- Sales Planning
- Market Share
- Selling Techniques