To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
1 Wall Street Court
New York, NY 10005
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Sushi Chef - Full-Time
HARU • New York, NY
Posted 10 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Responsible for preparing side and sushi items for our guests in accordance with Haru Sushi food preparations and service guidelines. Primarily works in front of guests while preparing foods at the sushi bar and ensuring a fun and inviting experience. Monitors and ensures the portioning of foods prepared at the sushi bar and maintains the cleanliness and sanitation of the sushi bar and equipment.Responsibilities
In accordance with Haru Sushi's service and cooking procedures:
- Greets and welcomes guests upon arrival to the sushi bar.
- Responds promptly and courteously to guest requests and provides guests with information about foods. Ensures guests are satisfied with food quality and service while communicating with the server assigned to the sushi bar for the shift.
- Performs shift opening and closing duties as assigned to include cleaning the neta cases, cutting boards, fryers, grills, equipment and floors.
- Is knowledgeable about and complies with the Company's standards on food portioning, cooking methods, quality standards, kitchen recipes, policies and procedures.
- Maintains kitchen, cooking areas, sushi counters, kitchen equipment and food storage areas clean, sanitary and organized. Reports any kitchen/sushi equipment or maintenance issues to the manager on duty (MOD) and head sushi chef.
- Adheres to the Company's guidelines on proper food presentation and garnishes for all dishes. Properly handles ready to eat food that is served raw.
- Handles, stores, labels, and rotates foods properly and in accordance with public health safety, state and local laws. Follows Everclean Best Practices for food handling and storage.
- Uses knives, hand tools, utensils, and equipment to portion, cut, slice, julienne, whip, beat, maintain holding temperature, chill, freeze or otherwise produce food.
- Keeps Head Sushi Chef informed of inventories and immediately reports any issues with defective products or equipment.
- Presents a clean and neat appearance and uses a courteous manner with all guests.
- Immediately notifies MOD when guests are not satisfied with their experience or if an accident occurs.
- Adheres to Company guidelines on alcoholic beverage service.
- Assists with the preparation of sushi items and sushi helpers as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor.
Experience and Education:
- Must successfully pass Haru Sushi chef training program
- Previous experience as sushi chef highly desirable
- Culinary degree a plus
- Approved food handling training as required by local laws
Competencies, Knowledge and Skills:
Customer Service: Must possess excellent customer service skills. Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism when interacting with guests and dealing with guest complaints. Ability to monitor and anticipate guests' needs and respond accordingly in an effort to maintain a positive and enjoyable dining experience. Ability to entertain and perform in front of guests is strongly desired.Communication: Must possess excellent verbal and nonverbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate and understand guests' and colleagues' instructions, read and understand written directives, and be able to clearly communicate if s/he requires further direction. Must be able to interpret nonverbal cues in an effort to identify and correct potential problems. Must be able to clearly speak in English.Interpersonal Relationships: Ability to adapt and interact with a diverse group of people. Ability to maintain a professional and courteous demeanor during stressful and/or busy times. Must be able to work as part of a team and recognize the importance of each team member's role in the guest dining experience.Physical Demands: Must be able to perform a variety of physical activities including, but not limited to, standing for long periods of time, climbing, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50 lbs. Ability to carry and lift cookware (pots, pans, etc.) containing hot or cool foods and liquids.
Food Knowledge, Preparation, Production and Safety: Ability to prepare food for consumption with background knowledge of proper techniques and equipment to be used. Must be able to clearly explain how food is prepared, cooked, and served to guests. Knowledge of industry standards on food storage and handling techniques is highly desirable. Knowledge of hibachi and beverages is a plus.Problem Solving and Conflict Management: Must exercise sound judgment and possess good problem solving skills. Must have the ability to recognize and resolve problems in an appropriate manner.Shift Flexibility: Must be able to work different shifts, include holidays, nights and weekends. Must be able to work overtime as required.