Software Developer – Asheville, NC
Position Description: KBR is looking for a software developer to join the Scientific Software Reengineering Group (SSRG) at NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) in Asheville, NC. The successful candidate will be responsible for collaborating with scientists, system operators, and software platform teams to guide the transformation of both existing NCEI operational software and new scientific research into the NCEI Common Data Services (CDS) enterprise platform. Work will initially be focused on assisting the successful completion of the ongoing Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS) re-engineering effort.
● Refactor legacy code to support completion of the ASOS re-engineering project
● Perform expert analysis of legacy and research science software systems
● Refactor scientific software using established SSRG methods and tools ● Master and maintain knowledge of SSRG methods and tools and the CDS platform
● Support conversion of scientific research to CDS
● Support migration of legacy operational systems to CDS
● Establish and maintain trust relationships with science and CDS teams
● Develop and present proof-of-concept demos of SSRG and CDS tools
● Support re-engineering of legacy operational systems and applications outside of CDS
● Expertise in application development and mastery of best development practices
● Experience with scientific data systems and research derived software. Experience with software design, software architecture.
● Expertise in code analysis, refactoring, code structuring, and peer review ● Experience with multiple object oriented, procedural, and functional languages
● Experience with Fortran (3 years), Java (3 years), C (2+ years), and Python
● Experience with software testing, test driven development, and version control
● Must possess excellent soft skills and be able to communicate complex ideas and concepts to both scientists and technologists
● Must be able to obtain Federal Security Clearance - Public Trust
● Familiarity with various NCEI datasets or systems
● Experience with containers, microservices, and configuration management
● Experience with cloud computing, big data, distributed computing, and API mapping
● Experience with polyglot programming
● Previous experience as a solutions engineer and/or architect
Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Physics, Mathematics, Atmospheric Science, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related discipline.