FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The Operational Tech Consultant is located in Akron, OH and reports to the Supervisor of CAET Development & Training. The Operational Tech Consultant is accountable, under general supervision, and in conjunction with the Information Technology organization, for the design, implementation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of complex database systems supporting the Crossbow business applications. This person is actively involved in the design/development of Crossbow software to supplement product capabilities and applies a comprehensive knowledge of the interrelationships of hardware and database management technology.
- Providing and maintaining reliable Oracle/Microsoft SQL Server databases to support FirstEnergy business application, Crossbow.
- Implementing, monitoring and administering FirstEnergy Oracle/Microsoft SQL Server databases including performance tuning.
- Performing system administration and performance monitoring.
- Support users of the Crossbow application.
- Support commissioning of new devices at substations.
- Recommending improvements to strategy, application usage and process.
- Investigating and resolving application problems and/or performance issues.
- Providing consulting services for DBA work that impacts Crossbow and OSIsoft server configurations.
- Providing input on future direction of FirstEnergy’s database environments.
- Availability to work off-hours to meet project and maintenance needs.
- Knowledge of Transmission Substation IEDs.
- Knowledge of device virtualization and development.
- Knowledge of communication protocol including but not limited to: DNP3.0, MODBUS, GOOSE, IEC61850.
- NERC CIP Compliance.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field with 10 years of relevant experience. In lieu of a degree, 12 years of relevant experience required. Relevant experience can include supporting a production database, any OT business application and remote OT device interaction.
- Broad experience in vendor database management software products and the use of those products in application development. (Quest, TOAD, SQL*Plus, etc.)
- Must work effectively in a team environment and on concurrent assignments.
- Strong technical writing skills, Powerpoint and Microsoft Excel.
- Understanding of basic network concepts, Windows Server administration strongly desired but not required.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
- Business Software
- Communications Protocols
- Hardworking And Dedicated
- Improvised Explosive Device