Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Discovery Manager within our Legal Department based in Houston, Texas.This position will support attorneys and paralegals working on all litigation arising out of Occidental’s operating and divested businesses. This role is part of Occidental’s Legal Technology team and will report to the Associate General Counsel of Litigation & Legal Technology. Job Role and Responsibilities
Overall Discovery Process
- Responsible for all aspects of electronic discovery for litigation involving Oxy or its subsidiaries. This includes, but is not limited to, handling collections, executing searches, running productions, and troubleshooting issues related to Oxy’s electronic discovery system.
- Manage and coordinate the discovery process with the Legal Team (including both internal and external counsel) and preferred vendors across matters, including advising on best practices.
- Consult with the Legal Team in creating, monitoring, and updating the discovery plan and budget.
- For electronic discovery that is hosted in off-premises systems, the candidate will be responsible for ensuring all preferred vendors and external counsel follow standard Oxy processes and workflows across all phases of discovery.
- Assist in managing the Preferred Provider Program including monitoring activity, ensuring issues are addressed and escalated appropriately.
- Participate in regular workflow meetings with the Legal Team and vendors to discuss activity, process improvements and lessons learned.
- Provide recommendations on case-specific issues including complex, large-scale and non-standard needs.
- Identify cost savings opportunities throughout all phases of discovery.
- Assist with creation and refinement of standard templates and workflows.
- Train counsel on Oxy’s discovery process and electronic discovery system.
- Collect relevant data identified by custodians or Legal Team.
- Ingest files and documents from several sources including network locations, File systems, Office365, PSTs, SharePoint, and Document Management Systems.
- Understand implications of international collection and address international data issues with the appropriate parties.
- Ensure up-to-date tracking documentation is maintained for all collected data.
Hard Copy Processing
- Communicate scanning/imaging/coding needs with vendors.
- Ship and confirm inventory of documents to and from vendors.
- QC processed images and bibliographic coding to ensure processing and coding requirements are met.
Electronic Discovery Services
Responsible for all aspects of electronic discovery done in Oxy’s electronic discovery platform, including but not limited to the following:
- Assist in preparing and evaluating keyword search terms to cull document population prior to review.
- Advise Legal Team on pros and cons of utilizing TAR or predictive coding and train Legal Team on same.
- Load productions into electronic discovery platform.
- Maintain data set of privilege tags for use in review batches.
- Review daily status reports, participate in weekly activity status calls and provide guidance as to prioritization of hard copy scanning projects.
- Engage preferred managed review team, assist in developing budget, document review strategy, and conduct project planning meetings.
- Participate in/lead case overview and review tool training sessions.
- Monitor review progress and report to Legal Team on metrics.
Systems Analysis and Troubleshooting
- Troubleshoot technical issues that arise while using and managing Oxy’s electronic discovery system.
- Read and interpret systems logs generated during document ingestion and processing.
- Liaise with technology team to ensure that best practices related to systems integrity are being adhered to.
Electronic Discovery Subject Matter Expertise
- Serve as the subject matter expert on all issues related to electronic discovery and advise Legal Team regarding same.
- Provide regular updates to Legal Team on electronic discovery best practices and developments in the law.
- Serve as the Oxy corporate representative and provide testimony on Oxy’s electronic discovery practices when needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- At least ten years of experience working in the electronic discovery field is required.
- Prior project management experience in large, complex electronic discovery projects is required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Office365 is required.
- The candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision is required.
- The ability to work in an often-stressful environment while maintaining good interpersonal skills is required.
- The ability to think quickly and analytically and be able to manage multiple priorities under short deadlines is required.
- Advanced degree or J.D. preferred.
- While a programming background is not essential, technical knowledge of systems operations and performance, security profiles, process troubleshooting, and systems log analysis is strongly preferred.
- The candidate should have strong business acumen, attention to detail, a proven track record as a team player that brings to the position exceptional organizational skills, excellent communication skills (both oral and written), and sound judgment.
Relocation: Will not be offered at this time.
Occidental does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Attention To Detail
- Commercial Awareness
- Cost Reduction
- Document Management Systems