At employee-owned HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch Our Story: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Director of Coastal Programs
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
Who You Are
You are a strategic thinker, a curious problem solver, connector and organizer. You understand the infrastructure, compliance and funding challenges facing our public leaders who are creating the vision for the future of the built environment in North America and the connections to a Global Infrastructure Market.
You are an inspiring leader who thrives on working with diverse teams towards a common goal. You are a natural collaborator armed with high levels of emotional intelligence which helps you to connect with and channel the strengths our leadership and staff. You embrace diversity and pride yourself on setting the tone for an inclusive environment so our employees can bring their genuine, best-version of themselves to the work every day; this helps us to offer the greatest solutions to our clients and the communities they serve. You are a visionary who thrives on seeing others succeed and embraces the core theme of our 2022 Strategic Plan recognizing that our Best Me = Best We philosophy leads us further along our journey to become Unrivaled.
We are seeking a Director of Coastal Programs to lead our clients and communities in addressing and preparing for the many engineering, environmental and social considerations surrounding this increasingly important practice. In this role you will partner with our senior leadership teams to plan what is possible, navigate the successful operation and growth of our coastal practice, and to support company goals and objectives. You will be at the helm of a powerful cross business group and geographic team that is focusing on the delivery of infrastructure, environmental, planning and consulting services with a focus on Coastal Programs. This position will oversee and collaborate with technical staff throughout our organization and lead our dedicated staff of professionals focused on Coastal Program delivery.
The primary duty of the Director of Coastal Programs is company-wide development, coordination, monitoring and improvement of technical and planning competencies of business class staff, products and services to exceed client needs and market drivers for coastal services. This industry thought leader will direct all aspects of policy analysis, project development and delivery involving coastal services, supporting the needs of all HDR market sectors. The director will lead planning analysis and design activities within the coastal zone and shape the design and planning of infrastructure programs for our clients. The position will help to drive the overall vison of our Coastal Program and grow our practice into world class practice and technical expert in all aspects of the coastal environment.
Lead activities to continually improve best practices and implement effective quality assurance. Build technical capabilities through hires, training, networking and mentoring. Enhance internal and external awareness/recognition of industry-leading capabilities and accomplishments. Collaborate on Coastal Programs efforts with geographic, business class, market sector, strategic pursuit and project delivery leaders. Participate in strategic planning, budgeting and implementation. Support Business Class activities across all Business Groups within HDR.
In the role of Director of Coastal Programs, we'll count on you to lead:
* Establish our program as the unrivaled leader in coastal resiliency services.
* Take responsibility for company-wide development, coordination, monitoring and improvement of technical competencies of business class staff and products to meet client needs and market drivers.
* Help drive partnerships and relationships with industry peers in the coastal market.
* Oversee delivery of project services and deliverables to meet client expectations.
* Collaborate on efforts with business class, market sector and regional business group directors; area market sector managers and business class leaders; and local business group and marketing leaders.
* Focus on initially growing in North America through development, mentoring, and support of the regional or topical business class leads and technical advisors.
* Expand the growth of Coastal staff through frequent communications and engagement of concentrations of expertise.
* Develop an electronic marketing database that contains up-to-date staff expertise, proposals, job descriptions, resumes, professional photos and other communication pieces for key staff access.
* Encourage constant communications between and with the Coastal services management and key staff to foster collaboration, marketing and project support to grow this business class.
* Engage all HDR business groups (such as Water, Transportation, Resources, Building Engineering Services, Architecture, and Federal) across all our operating companies to strengthen the HDR coastal practice across all HDR service lines.
* Develop and lead business class practice and professional discipline groups and project teams.
* Lead activities to continually improve standards and best practices and implement effective quality assurance.
* Participate in company strategy sessions, and work across the company to develop funding and budgets for plan implementation.
* Provide vision for the Coastal Resiliency Program based on climate trends, sea-level rise data, funding programs, and infrastructure support to HDR clients and communities.
* Drive regular cross-company business class calls and develop practice group collaboration for key topical areas.
* Ensure that technical staff are aware of and monitoring emerging technologies.
* Collaborate on the assignment of qualified, experienced staff to projects including effective use of work-sharing.
* Work with market sector directors to develop a strategic plan for the associated business classes and provide tactical business trend input to business group leadership at the national, regional, area and local levels.
* Lead client meetings and business development activities (e.g. new client development) to determine coastal service needs and leverage opportunities in the market space.
* Facilitate business class teamwork, communication and work-sharing between offices, business classes, management, marketing and staff.
* Participate on project teams
* Monitor business class direction, profitability, adherence to policies and practices, quality assurance, technical tools, project staffing and workload allocation.
* Build technical expertise and production capacity through recruitment and training, coordinate all strategic hires.
* Facilitate business class technica
- Business Development
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Financial Management