Middough Inc. - 'TOP WORKPLACES' winner!Electrical Engineer (Substation) - Position and Responsibilities
As an Electrical Engineer-Substation with Middough, you will work as a member of the electrical team on single-discipline and multi-discipline electrical transmission and distribution projects. The Electrical Engineer-Substation may also serve as the electrical discipline lead on small single-discipline projects.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Education, Experience and Skills
- Collect and prepare data/information, perform detailed engineering calculations, and write formal engineering/technical reports.
- Assist in fieldwork, check installations and problem-solving activities.
- May serve as Project Lead for select single-discipline projects by estimating work hours, developing scope of work, making staffing recommendations, and checking drawings.
- Interact with colleagues in other departments and suppliers to obtain pertinent information.
- Develop technical specifications and data sheets, perform technical evaluation of bids, and recommend best value design that meets client requirements for operability, reliability, maintainability, and safety.
- Perform calculation checking and vendor drawing reviews.
- Responsible for transmission line engineering including detailed design for high voltage transmission project through 500kv including:
- Line routing
- Structure selection and design
- Plan and profile drawings
- Engineering calculations for voltage drop, short circuit, power factor, sag and tension
- Hardware and conduction selection
- Equipment and construction specifications and bills of materials
- Industry codes and standards including the National Electrical Code (NEC) and National Electric Safety Code (NESC), NEMA, ANSI and IEEE standards.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor of Science in an Electrical Engineering discipline required.
- 2+ years of experience performing basic engineering analysis and design functions.
- Experience with power distribution systems, motor control systems, variable frequency drives, short circuit calculations, and relay coordination.
- High voltage substation design experience greater than 34.5 kv as well as protection and relaying design.
- EIT certification is a plus.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and attention to detail abilities.
- Ability to multitask and organize for project efficiency.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
The characteristics described below are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing duties of this position, the successful candidate will:
- Remain in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Frequently walk, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop or kneel, use repeating motions that may include the wrists/hands/fingers and talk and hear.
- Frequently use up-close vision, distance vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Should not expect adverse environmental conditions.
- May be exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as climbing ladders and/or stairs, extreme heat and/or cold, and/or poor air quality) if or when on-site at a client facility. Safety protections to be provided by the client and/or company and are required to be used and followed.
- May require occasional car or air travel to other company locations or client sites.
Middough Inc. (Middough), founded in 1950, is a leading professional engineering, architecture and project solutions company providing services to a broad spectrum of Fortune 500 clients in nine core industries with offices across the Central, Midwest and Northeast regions. Our diversified team is our greatest asset, and they are challenged with a large variety of interesting projects, management and technical development opportunities and team building experiences. Middough employs the best and brightest individuals who share our passion for excellence and who are dedicated to client satisfaction, quality service, safety awareness and professional development.What Middough Offers
We offer a growth and learning culture which encourages and supports employee development through a wide variety of tools and resources such as the company Learning Management System, Middough Learning Center. Middough provides an opportunity to bring your talents and expertise to a successful and growing organization for your career advancement goals. Additionally, we offer a highly competitive compensation and the following comprehensive benefits package, based on eligibility and plan terms/changes:
- A hybrid work model for work-life flexibility (based on business and client needs)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Company paid Short/Long Term Disability, Life, AD&D, and Travel insurance
- Health Saving and Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays
- Flexible Start Times
- Tuition Assistance
- Paid Certifications and Registrations (as applicable)
- Employee Assistance Program
Middough participates in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) E-Verify
program to confirm work authorization.Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors or any other protected characteristic under protected by federal, state, or local laws. Middough does not support sponsorship for any applicant that requires an employment visa (i.e., H-1B) to work lawfully in the US.
- Attention To Detail
- Electric Power Distribution