Windstream is considered an essential business and we are HIRING NOW. As our company responds to COVID-19, the safety and well being of our employees, customers, partners and communities is our top priority!
The candidate is recognized as a lead planning engineer within the Network Optimization group with overall responsibilities to create or enable the creation of all tactical plans in support of the Network Optimization initiative. The initiative’s focus is the exit or consolidation of network POP locations to reduce Windstream’s leased network costs.
The candidate will analyze each optical/TDM element in a target site and determine and write a plan to remove or migrate the element and its constitutes to the designated receiving site. The Sr Engineer will work across teams to finalize an element’s plan and ensure the plan is documented. Once all elements have been addressed, the planning Sr. Engineer will create a scope-of-work for the entire site’s exit and deliver to the implementation engineering and Project Management teams. The Sr. Engineer will support the implementation teams until the effort is complete.
The candidate must possess strong telecom skills that cover a broad range of equipment and be able to work across teams to create a holistic exit plan. This position is the owner of all plans necessary to exit a location and to ensure the implementations teams have sufficient information to enable the exit of the target site.
- Independently works to define plans for all equipment within a target site
- Accurately scopes and breaks down work for each plan
- Primary planning interfaced for each assigned project
- Resolves complex problems and serves as a resource to other team members to facilitate resolution of issues.
- Work across multiple lines of business and departments to develop a project scope and business case to optimize each opportunity
- Create a business case for each project and gain approval
- Transition plans to implementation teams and assist as needed
- Establish practices, templates, policies, tools and partnerships to mature the process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree in Engineering or a related field and 4 years professional level experience; or 8 years professional level experience.
- Strong understanding of optical/TDM transport networks and how they’re constructed.
- Strong independent work habits
- Working knowledge of ISP, OSP and IP equipment
- Highly adaptable, motivated by challenges
- Strong writing and documentation skills
- Familiarity with industry database and management systems.
IND123 Job Category:
US-South Carolina-Greenville\ |US|Iowa|Hiawatha\ |US|Kentucky|Lexington\ |US|Colorado|Denver\ |US|Arkansas|Little Rock\ |US|North Carolina|Charlotte\EEO Statement:
Windstream is an equal opportunity employer. At Windstream, we celebrate the authenticity and uniqueness of our people and their ideas. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national: origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and veteran status. The diverse voices of our employees fuel our innovation and our inclusive culture. Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing.