We all face challenges and transitions in our lives, and when we do, we must be able to count on the strength of community for support. For the people of Los Angeles, Jewish Family Service LA (JFSLA) is that trusted source of support. We are a comprehensive network of services that welcomes individuals and families of all ages and identities to our full spectrum of care. Our highly trained staff and volunteers work closely with individuals and their loved ones to problem-solve and guide them on their paths to safety, security, wellness, and fulfillment.
JFSLA staff share in our mission and work towards our goals with the highest level of responsibility, professionalism, and integrity. JFS demonstrates our commitment to our staff by offering a comprehensive benefits package and a nurturing environment.
JFSLA is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness. In recruiting for our team, we seek the unique contributions that individuals can bring from all backgrounds. We strive for a diverse team in order to better serve our clients and ensure our excellence as an organization in identifying, designing and delivering solutions.
Be part of our commitment and join our family. For more information on our philosophy and services, please tour our website www.jfsla.org
The Assistant Pantry Manager works under the supervision of the Supply and Logistics Manager . S/he assists with the day to day operations at SOVA’s food pantry/resource center facility. The Assistant Pantry Manager will be responsible for receiving, organizing, rotating and storage of inventory while maintaining appropriate product levels, supervising volunteers in the packing room, organizing and accounting for grocery products in the storage and packing areas and assisting the pantry manager as needed with client services. Additionally, s/he will train and oversee the volunteers as well as help with client registration as needed.
- Experience in a food pantry, retail or wholesale distribution business preferred
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds, stack and load (on and off a truck and pallets) cartons, boxes and other food containers with or without accommodations
- Must be able to bend, reach, stoop, push, and pull, twist and grip items with or without assistance
- Should be well organized, respond well to supervision and be able to work independently
- Must be available to work a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday schedule each week. Occasional Friday overtime required
- Must be reliable and have the ability to relate well to people
- Ability to safely operate a pallet jack
- Basic computer and data entry skills required
- Requires verbal and written fluency in English and the ability to conduct intake interviews with clients
- Bilingual in Spanish, Farsi or Russian a plus, but not required
- Should be flexible, comfortable working with volunteers and able to handle interruptions and unexpected circumstances
- Experience working with volunteers is a plus
- Must have valid CA driver’s license and proof of Insurance
- Must be culturally sensitive and able to work with a multi-cultural client/customer population
- Requires the ability to work in non-judgmental manner and foster positive growth/outcomes
- Able to work as part of a team and maintain professional boundaries
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment
Responsibilities/ Essential Functions:
- Assisting with pantry operations including receiving products, organizing and rotating inventory and product storage
- oversee the breakdown of bulk products, maintaining an orderly, clean and safe environment
- Handle weekly grocery supply ordering from central warehouse and maintain appropriate inventory levels
- Ensure proper refrigeration and temperature control of frozen/temperature sensitive items
- Coordinate and supervise a volunteer team of approx. 15 as they pull and pack client grocery orders
- Orient and train new packing room and back room volunteers. Coordinate, schedule and supervise storage and distribution area volunteers
- Assist with other administrative tasks as requested by the pantry manager as necessary
- Pick up local donations of perishable pantry products as necessary
- Enforce food distribution policies and procedures, while maintaining a high-quality service delivery
- Client registration and intake as necessary. Data entry and updating client records
- Attend staff meetings and trainings
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor
Jewish Family Service is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
Hunger, poverty, food pantry, food bank, warehouse, Associate Grocery Team Leader