18101 Prince Philip Dr
* Job Summary
* The Medical Assistant performs clinical and administrative duties in an ambulatory care setting under the supervision of a physician/provider and/or a registered nurse. Duties may include venipuncture, medication and vaccine administration, measurement, and documentation of vital signs, and assisting providers with patient exams, and telephone and clerical support. Position may float to other sites/locations within the system.
* Minimum Qualifications
* High school graduation or equivalent; completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program preferred.
* 6 months experience working in an ambulatory care medical office or equivalent required. Externship in a medical or ambulatory health setting strongly preferred. Completed externship program at MedStar Health may be substituted for the 6 months experience in ambulatory care medical office. Experience working with electronic medical records preferred For Cardiology offices only: 6 months experience working in an ambulatory care medical office or equivalent required, OR Bachelor's degree in Exercise Physiology/Science or related major OR successful completion of a Cardiac Technician course.
* CMA (Certified Medical Assistant) by the American Association of Medical Assistants, or RMA (Registered Medical Assistant) through American Medical Technologists or equivalent required within 12 months of hire; BLS for healthcare professionals certification required.
* Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Clinical competency as verified within 90-day orientation period and annually thereafter. Excellent customer service/patient interaction skills. Basic computer skills preferred.
* Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality, and safety standards. Complies with governmental regulations and accreditation standards.
* Assists providers with patient preparation for examination, minor office procedures and with the examination and education of patients. Supports other members of the clinical care team, assuring optimal best-practice patient flow; manages variable and unpredictable patient volume throughout the workday. Provides clerical support and serves as backup for the Patient Services Coordinator or other team members as needed.
* Participates in daily team huddles to review and prepare for scheduled patient visits. Screens all patients, regardless of visit type, for preventative care needs, ongoing support, barriers to care, safety concerns, and potential fall risk. Conducts surveillance for transitions of care, urgent/emergent care, or follow up tasks such as retrieval of documents associated with referrals/testing.
* Conducts motivational interviews that include patient screening and/or coaching on disease management ability, motivation to change, learning care needs, and community outreach needs. Identifies potential behavioral health needs of patients using appropriate screening tools and notifies provider of findings.
* As part of a High Reliability Organization, reports actual and potential problems concerning patients, families and associates using established reporting protocols for MedStar Health and/or work location. Participates in performance improvement initiatives to improve care quality and safety.
* Ensures ongoing compliance with regulatory, accreditation, and quality/safety standards by maintaining and auditing temperature logs, ensuring medication supplies are current/unexpired, checking and maintaining emergency equipment, area free of clutter, and other related tasks.
* Participates in population management activities including an awareness of the populations served and engages the patient in self-management support, care/health goal setting, pre-visit planning, and the capturing of information that leads to health care improvement activities.
* Performs selected patient and laboratory testing consistent with the scope of the practice, including but not limited to Point of Care Testing, tuberculosis skin testing, electrocardiography, pulmonary function tests, and vision and hearing testing (dependent upon provider and site requirements). Removes sutures/staples after the provider has examined the patient and written the appropriate order. Documents these activities in the patient's electronic medical record (EMR) or other venues based on policy.
* Documents clinically related activities accurately in the patient's EMR; performs required patient follow-up: to include pap smears, Pb levels, HIV, mammograms, and STD's. Collects and processes specimens, completes requisitions, and documents in logbook or other applicable forms/records.
* Provides escort for patients and assists with patient discharge activities. Provides chaperoning for patients per policy.
* Fulfills infection prevention and environmental responsibilities as assigned, which many include: Light cleaning during clinic hours and cleaning of equipment. Updates appropriate records of scheduled equipment maintenance and manages drug and medical supply inventories.
* Provides telephone screening services to gather information from patients, determine appropriate disposition and document per established telephone screening protocols.
* Under onsite provider supervision may insert intravenous catheter for physician initiated IV fluid therapy or administration of intravenous medications. Under direct onsite physician supervision, may insert, remove, and monitor urinary catheter for procedures and prepare and administer oral drugs and injections limited to intradermal, subcutaneous, and intramuscular. May perform phlebotomy.
* Utilizes the EMR to propose patient medication refills for provider approval. Completes requisitions for tests (if applicable). Contacts insurance companies for Pre-authorizations for patient medications and specialty referrals including insurance authorization.
* Floats to other sites/locations within the system as appropriate and performs all duties at multiple sites.
* Attends scheduled meetings including, but not limited to, regular staff meetings and training classes for safety, infection control, OSHA, CLIA, BLS and others as required.
* Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar Health mission, vision, goals, SPIRIT values, objectives, and patient care philosophy.
* Performs other duties as assigned
- Basic Life Support
- Behavioral Medicine
- Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor