Elbit Systems of America is a leading provider of high performance products, system solutions, and support services focusing on the defense, homeland security, commercial aviation, and medical instrumentation markets. With facilities throughout the United States, Elbit Systems of America is dedicated to supporting those who contribute daily to the safety and security of the United States. Elbit Systems of America, LLC is wholly owned by Elbit Systems Ltd. (NASDAQ: ESLT and TASE: ESLT), a global high technology company engaged in a wide range of programs for innovative defense and commercial applications. For additional information, visit: URL blocked - click to apply or follow us on URL blocked - click to apply. Responsibilities
Exciting opportunity for an Opto-Mechanical Engineer to provide technical support over diverse Electro-Optical (EO) product development and sustainment projects to include various defense and airborne systems. This opportunity requires initiative and creativity along with a foundation in electro-optics, opto-mechanics, and electro-mechanical system integration.
You will analyze and develop solutions to complex problems, and independently perform tasks critical to the success of the engineering department. You will also support substantial proposal and marketing initiatives, and perform research and development work to support long-term strategic objectives of ESA.
Responsibilities include opto-mechanical system concept development, opto-mechanical system architecture, opto-mechanical system trade-off analysis, requirements definition and flow down, detailed opto-mechanical design, test and evaluation of opto-mechanical and EO performance parameters at both the component and system level. Successful candidates are expected to present a track record of the following essential functions:
- Skilled in the use of solid modeling CAD tools, specifically SolidWorks. Industrial Design/Human Factors is a plus.
- Understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing methods and conventions in accordance with ASME Y14.5-2009.
- Fundamental modeling and analytical understanding of static and dynamic mechanical properties (e.g. stress, torque, natural frequency, damping, thermal expansion, etc.)
- Specification and design of electro-mechanical mechanisms and components (positioning systems, zoom lenses, focus/FOV changing mechanisms, etc.)
- Line-of-sight analysis
- System light-weighting techniques/ materials/ trade off analyses
- Passive athermalization techniques/ designs
- Hermetic and Environmental Seal design
- Electro-Optics System packaging & Integration
- Knowledge of advanced materials: alloys, composites, ceramics, thermoplastics, epoxies
- Knowledge of advanced manufacturing methods: EDM, rapid prototyping, casting and molding, laser cutting, brazing, etc.
- Familiarity with advanced metrology tools including CMM's, ESS chambers, LabView, shake tables, etc.
- Ability to generate required documentation including design reports, assembly procedures, bills-of-material, test procedures, etc.
- Thermal/ structural analysis: use of analytical tools including FEA, specifically ANSYS Workbench.
- Familiarity with optical design tools desirable (Zemax preferred), but not essential
- MS Office, including MS Project & Visio
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Master's preferred) or an equivalent scientific discipline with 6 or more years of applicable experience in opto-mechanical engineering.
- Requires hands-on opto-mechanical design skills and broad capabilities in the area of mechanical engineering.
- Specific theoretical and experienced-based knowledge of opto-mechanical system design for Electro Optics assemblies in addition to a firm foundation in mechanical engineering.
Engineer In Training
Engineering Design Process