Requisition ID: 126939
Job Level: Mid Level
Employment Type: Full Time
As a Quality Inspector, you will primarily have responsibility for inspections and tests pertaining to a specific scope of work such as welding, piping, concrete, mechanical, electrical, etc. You will also perform other duties as directed by his/her supervisor to meet project quality requirements. To maximize your effectiveness, you must develop a thorough understanding of the project scope and schedule as they relate to your specific assignment.
Mass. Electric Construction Co. (MEC) is a subsidiary of the Kiewit Corporation. Since our founding in 1928 in Boston, Massachusetts, Mass. Electric Construction’s philosophy has been to pursue electrical projects that require a higher level of technical and logistical skill. MEC has a 65-year tradition of outstanding performance on some of the nation’s most high-profile transportation projects. To date we have completed over $5 billion of transportation projects throughout North America. With our skilled and dedicated personnel, combined with cutting edge equipment, installation methods and project controls, MEC is setting new standards across every aspect of the market.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
This position will be based out of Seattle, WA
• Listen to and takes appropriate action on client’s expressed concerns and observations.
• Provide open and honest communications to client representatives regarding the quality of the work.
• Develop an understanding of project scope and quality requirements as they pertain to your specific area of responsibility.
• Study and understand the Project Quality Plan and other quality documents that pertain to assigned scope of work.
• Identify detailed quality requirements required by the contract specifications and applicable codes and standards.
• Determine required frequency of inspections and tests
• Coordinate with operations to schedule quality inspections and tests to maintain production goals
• Perform inspections and tests at the required frequency in the assigned area.
• Ensures that required inspections and tests are performed by others as required
• Prepare inspection/test reports and maintain the quality files related to area of responsibility
• Verify inspection and test compliance with the applicable contract documents, codes and standards
• Correctly interpret and utilized codes and industry standards to determine compliance of the work
• Maintain effective communications (both orally and written) with supervisor, coworkers and the project management team
• Communicate test results to the project team with accurate and complete documentation
• Understand typical codes and standards as they apply to the assigned work
• Organize quality documents and store per the company and project document management procedures
• Identify and report nonconforming work in accordance with the company quality standards and the project quality plan
• Verify nonconforming work is properly corrected
• Perform source and receiving inspection of permanent materials and plant equipment for project requirements as required
• Develop strong working relationship with supervisor, coworkers and the project management team
• Be involved in and provide quality input to task planning meetings.
• Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost saving measures that arise or that may be encountered. Take corrective actions as needed.
• Inspect subordinates’ work for compliance with the contract plans and specifications, point out deficiencies and explain and take any corrective action needed.
• Listen to other employee's and supervisor's suggestions, complaints, problems, safety concerns and recommendations, evaluate each and then devise and implement a plan of action based on that evaluation.
• Observe functioning of installed equipment or systems to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation or replacement.
• Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective actions to eliminate or minimize hazards.
• Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens.)
• Understand and implement lockout/tagout procedures in safe manner.
• Be motivated and work productively.
• Associate's degree in engineering technology or science plus two years of experience in a related construction field (at least one of these years in a QA/QC position); or a high school graduate or equivalent (GED) plus four years of experience in a related construction field (at least two of these years in a QA/QC position).
• A minimum of 5 years construction QC experience for the work they are responsible for inspecting, or with a minimum 3 years QC inspection experience plus a minimum 2 years construction experience in engineering or inspecting within the disciplines for the work they are responsible for inspecting.
• Light rail system experience preferred
• Working knowledge of the specific trade of discipline you are assigned to with associated special processes, inspection, and testing techniques.
• Working knowledge of construction industry codes relating to your area of expertise (i.e. ASSHTO, ACI, AWS, ASME, NEC, etc.).
• Certifications from AWS, ACI, ICBO, ASNT, NACE, API etc. may be required for certain positions.
• Ability to travel and relocate as needed
• Must be a self-starter, be organized and have good interpersonal skills.
- Absent an approved exemption, due to federal, state, local, provincial and/or client-requirements, this position may require an individual to be fully vaccinated by an FDA-approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine or undergo weekly testing upon hire and as a condition of continued employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Product Quality Assurance