“Windstream is considered an essential business and we are HIRING NOW. As our company responds to COVID-19, the safety and wellbeing of our employees, customers, partners and communities is our top priority.”
Se Habla Español!
Windstream Holdings, Inc. is a leading provider of advanced network communications and technology solutions for consumers, small businesses, enterprise organizations and carrier partners across the U.S.
About the Role:
As a line worker in the Kinetic construction and engineering organization you will install, repair and maintain poles, cables and conduits; install aerial and buried cables with associated hardware as required to build jobs; and run fiber optic and copper cable, both aerial and in underground infrastructure such as manholes.
In this role, you will work to maintain the safety of the crew by providing direction regarding procedures, road safety and manhole safety. You will attend safety meetings, maintain inventory, maintain DOT vehicle inspection, operate heavy machinery and perform routine maintenance.
This job will include work on weekends, holidays, standby and unscheduled hours and overtime. Travel of over 50% may be required.
What You’ll Do:
- Install, repair and maintain poles. Use electronic test equipment to measure signal strength. Interpret staking sheets and blueprints.
- Install aerial cables (fiber and copper). Inspect these lines, analyze and record test results and assess transmission characteristics to locate faults.
- Set up service for customers by installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment.
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances using bucket trucks, or by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or crawl spaces.
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers, or trenches and pull lines to proper tension using jacks, hoist and other equipment as necessary.
- Pull up cable by hand from large reels mounted on trucks.
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through conduits running through trenches/manholes.
- Pull cable through ducts by hand or with winches.
- Dig trenches for underground wires or cables.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards and RUS standards.
- Read and follow design engineers’ instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes.
- Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail and make recommendations for changes in running line or construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes as required.
- Recognize and repair route issues including but not limited to, hand hole cleanup, sign placement, and weed control.
- Fill and tamp holes, using cement, earth, and tamping devices.
Do You Have:
- Ability to use a variety of construction equipment to complete installations, such as digger derricks, bucket trucks, back hoes, trenchers, or cable plows.
- 1 year of outside plant construction experience including the installation, repair and maintenance of poles and buried or aerial cable.
- Pole climbing certification.
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, year-round.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights.
- Ability to work an on-call schedule rotation as well as days/nights/overnights/weekends/holidays/overtime, as needed.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to pass DOT certification pre-hire.
- Minimum qualifications to obtain a CDL post-hire.
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Ability to travel up to 50%.
- Exceptional time-management and attention to detail to complete all paperwork accurately and on-time.
- 5 or more years of construction experience.
- OSHA 10 Hour Safety Course and Buck Squeeze (Pole Climbing Certifications).
- Proficient at operating various Construction Equipment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) not required but welcome!
Our Benefits:EEO Statement:
Windstream is an equal opportunity employer. At Windstream, we celebrate the authenticity and uniqueness of our people and their ideas. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veteran status, current military status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, citizenship status, or any other status protected by law, and to give full consideration to qualified disabled individuals and protected veterans. The diverse voices of our employees fuel our innovation and our inclusive culture. Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. 400844
- Spanish Language
- Installations (Manual/Mechanical)
- Planned Maintenance
- Aerial Cable