Are you interested in becoming Ace helpful?
Ace has been named a Top Workplace in Chicago and we’re looking for the best people to help us fulfill our vision of being the best, most helpful hardware stores on the planet. We’re focused on the future, looking for new and better ways to compete in today’s marketplace. At Ace, we like to say that we have a soft heart, a steel spine — and we like to win. People are the foundation of what makes Ace great, and we’re always looking for ways to improve the employment experience for Ace team members. What we can promise you is that you will gain a sense of accountability and ownership by working hard to build Ace’s continued success, and your own. You’ll enjoy a competitive, fast-paced and friendly work environment. And, you’ll take pride in serving our Ace retail stores and their customers in neighborhoods across the country and around the world.
2020 Summer Internship Program
The Ace Internship program allows you to apply skills and knowledge you're learning in College today, while contributing in a hands-on environment to fit your career objectives, complement your academic work and enhance your learning. Here’s what you will take away from your experience this summer:
- Real hands-on experience in your assigned department/function with day-to-day projects, responsibilities, accountabilities and deadlines.
- Opportunity to partner with other interns over the summer on a Capstone project, presenting your findings and recommendations to Ace’s Leadership
- Q & A with Ace’s CEO and Senior Leadership team
- Resume Workshop to help you prepare for future opportunities
- Opportunity to volunteer through the Ace Hardware Foundation
- Team building activities and more.
Your internship experience at Ace will give you the knowledge and skills future employers will look for! Want to hear more? Please review our Glassdoor comments from former interns!
The Software Engineering Associate intern designs, modifies, develops, writes and implements software programming applications and components; supports and/or maintains software applications and components; works from written specifications and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job and maintains documentation of application processes.
- Read and understand business and functional requirements
- Design, code and test new business applications across verticals (Merchandising, Retail Support, Finance, etc.)
- Enhance existing systems by analyzing business objectives, preparing an action plan and identifying areas for modification and improvement
- Maintain existing software systems by identifying and correcting software defects
- Troubleshoot production incidents and recover production systems.
- Create technical specifications and test plans
- Create new and extend existing operational documentation
The ideal intern will possess the following:
- Working toward a technology-oriented bachelor’s degree, such as Computer Science or Information Technology
- Entering Senior year of college
- Strong academic record
- Passionate about technology and a desire to focus on IT End Users satisfaction
- Comptia’s A+ certification and experience with Lenovo hardware would be a plus
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Adaptability and ability to learn quickly in high-pressure environments
- Ambitious self-starter who has demonstrated the ability to contribute as an effective team member
- Takes ownership and accountability of projects and responsibilities
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated motivation and initiative to succeed
- Knowledge and interest in Ace Hardware Corporation
- Ability to work 40 hours per week, Monday -Friday for 12 weeks
- Willingness and ability to give presentations to colleagues, managers and directors
For more than 90 years, Ace Hardware has been known as the place with the helpful hardware folks in thousands of neighborhoods across America, providing customers with a more personal kind of helpful. In 2018, Ace ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Home Improvement Retail Stores, Eleven Years in a Row," according to J.D. Power. With more than 5,000 hardware stores locally owned and operated across the globe, Ace is the largest retailer-owned hardware cooperative in the world. Headquartered in Oak Brook, Ill., Ace and its subsidiaries operate an expansive network of distribution centers in the U.S. and also have distribution capabilities in Ningbo, China; Colon, Panama; and Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Its retailers' stores are located in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and approximately 55 countries.
We want to hear from you!
When most people think of career opportunities with Ace Hardware, they often think of the helpful cashiers and sales associates at their local store. However, have you also considered the people behind the scenes who select, promote, ship and process the invoices for more than 75,000 products? Maybe you haven't, but we'd like you to. Because together we help our customers take care of their homes. Come find out why a career with the Ace Hardware Corporation is one of America's best kept secrets.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ace Hardware Corporation and its subsidiaries are committed to a policy of promoting equal employment opportunities. The company recognizes the importance of diversity and leveraging the skills and talents of all people to the mutual advantage of each individual and the organization. The company is committed to the prevention of employment discrimination related to race, religion, color, sex (including sexual harassment), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability and military or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other action covered by federal or applicable state/local laws.
Ajax (Programming Language)
Cascading Style Sheets (Css)
C Sharp (Programming Language)
Java Script (Programming Language)