To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Melbourne, FL 32935
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Principal Laser Systems Engineer
DRS Technologies Inc • Melbourne, FL
Posted 2 months ago
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 46,500 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. Leonardo DRS is committed to being an employer of choice of a highly qualified, diverse, effective, and productive workforce.
For additional information on Leonardo DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com.
Located on the east coast of Florida in Melbourne, DRS NIS is a leading designer and manufacturer of highly engineered, technically advanced, defense electronics for U.S. and allied international military and intelligence agency applications. Products include hand-held devices, targeting scopes, night vision optics, laptop computers and vehicle-mounted systems supporting man-portable and fighting vehicle applications. The company specializes in equipment that allows communication between broad spectrums of battlefield interfaces.
As a Principle Laser Systems Engineer at DRS, you will be responsible for the development and implementation of secure tactical networks, integration of rugged computing systems, and software systems, to include assessment and technical evaluation of operating characteristics. You will develop test plans and methodologies to support formal qualification and acceptance testing of systems. You will support testing of products, systems or subsystems in real-time and dynamic operating environments. You will analyze test data and results and troubleshoot test failures. You will provide technical knowledge and assistance to other engineers and support personnel. You will translate equipment observations into system assessments and provide written reports with clarity and appropriate levels of detail. You will ensure that a disciplined approach with adherence to standard processes and operating procedures are followed in the verification and validation testing of unit-under-test systems and sub-systems.
Primary & Essential Accountabilities
- Lead laser systems design through production efforts
- Manage laser systems sub-contractors as required
- Define, document, analyze, refine, decompose, allocate, and manage system and subsystem requirements
- Support system and subsystem performance qualification against these requirements, including through Design, modeling and simulation, and formal testing
- Manage and support the development of test plans and procedures
- Manage and participate in failure analysis, root cause development, and validation of corrective actions for issues identified during qualification
- Support the development and integration of test equipment and test software to support product validation/verification
- Execute other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in engineering or related technical field
- Optics Degree, Electrical Engineering, Physics Preferred
- 10+ years of direct experience as an Engineer
- 5+ years of direct laser targeting systems experience (Nd:YAG, Erbium:Glass Lasers)
- Experience designing, building, and testing EO/IR systems
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must currently possess or be able to obtain a security clearance
- Basic understanding of electro-optical/infrared (EO/IR) fundamentals
- Advanced understanding of laser design principles & concepts and laser optical system performance
- Advanced understanding of laser targeting systems
- Experience with modeling and simulation of system performance
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills
- Understanding of Systems Engineering fundamentals, including principles guiding requirements development and management, system design, and validation/verification
- Broad understanding of Engineering principles across Electrical, Mechanical, Optical, and Software & Firmware Engineering disciplines
- Experience developing systems to meet, and performing formal verification against, military environmental requirements (MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464, etc.)
- Experience supporting the development of test equipment and test software to support product verification as well as production test activities
- Experience in the development of measurement, alignment, calibration, & test methodologies and techniques to support product verification as well as production test activities
- Experience with failure analysis, root cause development, and validation of corrective actions
- Strong focus on data analysis & interpretation and assessment of measurement & process capability
- Experience using MATLAB and Mathcad
- Laser modeling experience preferred
- US Citizen or US Person status required.
- The selected candidate will need to obtain/maintain a security clearance
Leonardo DRS and its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. #EOIS #LEL