This job reports to the Unit Manager of Customer Funded Projects. Will be responsible for electrical engineering support of generator interconnection and load customer build outs in New York (NYSEG and RG&E).
Performs electrical engineering, owners engineer and managing contractor engineering services for the construction of high and medium voltage electrical substations including project planning and development of scope, estimating, economic evaluation, analysis of alternatives, and specification of equipment.
Responsible for department compliance with industry and company safety standards and policy.
Responsible and accountable for adherence to federal and state regulatory requirements, including FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, and ME PUC as they apply to Transmission, Substation and
1. Provide project management, scheduling and cost tracking, and coordination support for various Company departments and customers.
2. Perform complex engineering analysis based on individual know how and experience or set standards to determine equipment ratings, insulation coordination, grounding and lightning protection requirements, etc.
3. Provide technical expertise, direction and leadership for the construction contractors, field construction managers, substation technicians and electric field operations personnel to ensure the safe and reliable delivery of energy related services.
4. Develop design and construction standards, determine installation and operating requirements, and evaluate new products and vendors.
5. Provide equipment application and maintenance recommendations.
6. Perform additional activities as requested: maintenance program development, maintenance specifications, equipment assessment, technical support, maintenance practice development and equipment specs for substation equipment (power transformers, circuit breakers, instrument transformers, disconnect switches, regulators, etc.
7. Participate in professional societies and industry associations to stay current with technological changes and advances this is for self-development and to keep teams within the organization informed.
8. Provide preliminary designs and estimates in support of customer projects, capital budget plans and System Planning studies using his/her technical expertise.
9. Knowledge and skill level in Safety aspects both regulatory and company standards as per OSHA standards and accident prevention guidelines set for the industry.
#LI-DG1Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Bachelors degree with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience required.
• Thorough knowledge of power system engineering.
• Knowledge about the different national and international standards, and regulations and compliance requirements associated with power system engineering.
• Be capable of learning or have experience with power system engineering computer applications desired: CADD, PSSE, PSLF, Aspen, etc.
• General knowledge of project management, supervisory principles, theories and techniques.
• Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain certification in NY and ME.
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Demonstrated project management skills.
• Proficiency and fluency in substation engineering theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis.Competencies
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID's employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Engineer - Substation Engineering
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
or [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Engineer - Substation EngineeringNearest Major Market:
Waterville Nearest Secondary Market:
Augusta Maine Job Segment:
Power Systems, Energy