What You Will Do:
The University of Maryland Medical System
is a 14-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking a Payroll Lead
for our Linthicum
THE FOLLOWING ARE REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION:
High School Diploma AND FIVE YEARS of progressive experience in all aspects of PAYROLL PROCESSING including preparing salary and wage garnishments and completing government required tax forms
THIS POSITION IS BUDGETED TO PAY UP TO $52,000 BASED ON EXPERIENCE
Under general supervision, perform as lead worker of Payroll Staff, overseeing, reviewing, and coordinating daily work activities. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Provides leadership and guidance to the Payroll staff to ensure maximum productivity and effectiveness in accordance with departmental standards and procedures.
A. Contributes to performance evaluations, interviewing, and enforcing departmental rules and regulations in collaboration with Payroll Manager. Conducts new employee orientation and training as needed.
B. Develops employee work schedules to maintain adequate staffing levels. Insures all areas are properly staffed. Audits the work of the Payroll staff ensuring that all work is completed accurately and timely. Offers guidance and direction and assists the Payroll staff with difficult payroll issues.
C. Coordinates the work of the Payroll staff in developing payroll-related reports for various UMMS department supervisors.
2. Processes, calculates and verifies weekly time records for state and UMMS employees regarding payment and leave balances in accordance with UMMS/departmental policies and procedures.
A. Reviews and corrects time records for coding accuracy before processing.
B. Follows-up to assure that appropriate forms and statements for changes in payroll and/or leave are completed. Prepares payroll adjustment sheets, by calculating gross income and necessary tax deductions.
C. Reviews and processes more complicated time records, involving more complex calculations and special considerations.
3. Verifies information input into the HRIS by HR regarding employee data changes, including changes in personal information, salary, job title, transfers, and other pertinent information for accuracy and completeness.
4. Responds to and resolves inquires referred by payroll staff regarding more complex pay and leave questions.
A. Investigates employee/supervisor questions regarding such issues as, health insurance tax deductions and leave time accumulations or other concerns.
B. Responds to concerns regarding direct deposit. Contacts bank regarding accounts and routing numbers, stopping payments on accounts, as necessary.
5. Develop, update and maintain special computer reports for recording and tracking pay/position-related information on employees.
6. Conducts training sessions for payroll staff, UMMS supervisors and department heads pertaining to procedures and benefits with regard to payroll. Provides instruction on coding time sheets and monitoring employee leave availability. ***Employee Benefits***
As a University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) employee, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between employer and employeesWhat You Need to Be Successful:
1. High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required. Two years of course work from an accredited college or university in Finance or Accounting preferred.
2. Five years experience performing payroll processing duties, including experience in preparing salary and wage garnishments and completing government required tax forms is required.
3. Lead worker/supervisory experience preferred.
4. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of state, local and federal tax laws and regulations, general/routine accounting practices (bookkeeping) is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrated ability to perform basic mathematical calculations including percentage, addition, subtraction, multiplication, or otherwise manipulate numbers using a calculator, or related equipment. Ability to operate a personal computer, photocopier, and other routinely used office equipment is required.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of spreadsheets (i.e. Microsoft Excel), word processing programs (i.e., Microsoft Word), graphic/specialty and other finance-related software programs is required.
3. Ability to oversee and monitor daily work activities, evaluate, train and motivate the performance of payroll staff.
4. Proficient problem-solving skills are required to successfully resolve difficult payroll-related discrepancies. Proficient guest relation skills are required. Ability to work effectively in a stressful work environment.
5. Highly effective verbal and written communication and listening skills are required to interact with various individuals seeking pay related information.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.