To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Tucson, AZ 85726
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
1356 - Finance Accountant - Principal - Finance/Treasurer (Financial Control & Reporting)
PIMA COUNTY GOVERNMENT • Tucson, AZ
Posted 2 months ago
1356 – Finance Accountant – Principal – Finance/Treasurer
(Financial Control & Reporting)
(Job# 2019 - 00402)
Salary Starting: $58,884.80 Annually
This position is with the Financial Control & Reporting Division of the Pima County Finance & Risk Management Department.
Salary grade: 60
Participates in either the preparation of certain parts of interim financial statements, the County's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), other annual reports, testing and implementation of changes to the County's or Treasurer's Office automated financial systems, or processing and analyzing multi-departmental, county-wide or Treasurer's Office transactions for payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and the general ledger. This classification used exclusively by the Central Finance Department and the Treasurer's Office.
Proof of education will be required at time of interview.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Participates in the preparation of interim and annual financial statements and other financial reports for the County or Treasurer's Office;
Prepares year-end working trial balances and other supporting accounting schedules and documents;
Provides technical assistance as needed to the Auditor General staff;
Collects, analyzes and balances financial and statistical data for all funds;
Reviews and analyzes accounting transactions, validates account coding and maintains accounting records;
Reviews, analyzes, balances and reconciles accounting activities for the County or Treasurer's Office;
Prepares accounting operating procedures and detailed flow charts;
Provides operational advice and training on the use of the County's or Treasurer's Office automated financial system to departmental users;
Monitors the recording of financial information in the general ledger system to ensure data conforms to generally accepted accounting principles and established procedures;
Implements changes to legislation enacted by the local, state or federal government, e.g., IRS codes, wage and hour laws, state sales taxes, etc.;
Prepares data for monthly, quarterly or annual reports, e.g., 941, sale tax, W-2's, 1099's, etc.;
Prepares audit work sheets, schedules, reports, statistical data and all supporting documentation to be used in compiling the annual financial report for the County or Treasurer's Office;
Reviews, analyzes and generates reports from the County's or Treasurer's Office automated financial systems;
Provides centralized billing and collection services for County departments or Treasurer's Office;
Evaluates impact of requested or mandated changes to the County's or Treasurer's Office automated financial systems, researches the feasibility of requests, and makes recommendations for improvements;
Develops detailed specifications regarding changes to accounting transactions needed for automated interfaces;
Monitors transactions related to cash, property tax, LGIP statement, interest accumulation, etc. in connection with the Treasurer's Office;
Provides cash management for federal grant programs;
Provides technical assistance and education related to IRS regulation, wage and hour laws, GAAP, etc., to other department personnel.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- general governmental accounting principles, pronouncements, practices and methods to include GAAP, GASB, etc.;
- financial accounting, internal reporting and statement preparation;
- applicable governmental regulations to include IRS codes, wage and hour laws, OMB circulars, etc.;
- applications, procedures and flow techniques of automated financial systems;
- training methods and procedures;
- principles and techniques for data collection, report writing and data analysis;
- applications of management information systems to automated financial systems.
- applying accounting principles to the preparation of financial statements and fund accounting;
- analyzing, interpreting and reconciling accounting data;
- identifying problem areas and recommending revisions and improvements;
- preparing accurate and complete financial reports from accounting records and information systems;
- communicating effectively, both orally and in writing;
- examining major accounting systems for operational efficiency and making recommendations for modification;
- researching and interpreting authoritative accounting sources or local, state and federal laws and regulations and applying results to area of assignment;
- understanding legal terminology as it pertains to contracts, wage assignments, tax levies, etc.
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting or a closely related field as defined by the appointing authority and two years of professional accounting experience.
(Additional relevant education from an accredited college or university and/or experience may be substituted.)
(CPA designation may substitute for one year of required experience.)
(2) Two years of experience with Pima County as an Accountant-Senior, Finance Accountant-Senior or Finance Operations Specialist-Central Finance.
(3) One year of experience with Pima County as a Contracts/Grants Compliance Specialist.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A Bachelor's degree (or higher) in finance or accounting.
- At least two (2) years of experience preparing financial statements.
- At least two (2) years of experience working with fund accounting.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, specifically with Pivot Tables, V-Lookup and formulas.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application. Failure to maintain the required licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.
CLOSING DATE: Friday, April 19, 2019 11:59 PM
When applying to this position, please note the Job Number is 2019 - 00402.