The Production Supervisor is responsible for supervising production shift as assigned on a rotating basis, including process, packaging, maintenance and yard personnel. Scope of supervision extends to maintenance and housekeeping duties. The Production Supervisor is responsible for safety, quality, and productivity through direct leadership and coordination of production.
25% Drive productivity and foster continuous improvement through sound management practices including communication of goals, training of operators, and operation of machines within established process specifications, and identification and resolution of production related issues.
15% Maximize production efficiencies, achieve targeted raw material usages, and minimize yield losses while producing high quality product in a safe manner.
15% Troubleshoot and quickly resolve production method or machinery issues that are impacting run rates, downtime, or quality.
15% Provide a safe work place through adherence to company safety policy, housekeeping, and defined standards of training. Monitor compliance to safety policies and procedures, conduct inspections of plant areas, and ensure deficiencies found are resolved or appropriately communicated
20% Maintain an excellent quality level of product produced at the lowest cost. Monitor key operating parameters to ensure the product adheres to specifications while minimizing raw material usage. Work with production operators to identify and reduce controllable quality issues. Ensure each operator completes required quality checks. Review results of audits performed by QA department and communicate to production crew. Provide feedback to production crew on all field complaints.
10% Participate in the selection discussion for filling open operator positions and participate in the interview process for new production personnel. Support communication throughout plant and communicate the bonus program to employees at the plant. Monitor and address poor attendance issues in a timely manner. Solicit and obtain coverage for absences and vacations. Maintain accurate timekeeping for production employees and ensure timecards are approved on time.
LEVEL BASED COMPETENCIES:
Level Based Competencies are to be designated based on job level and content.
• Facilitating Change
• Building Strategic Working Relationships
• Business Acumen
• Developing Others
• Stress Tolerance
• Decision Making
• Managing Conflict
Technical knowledge/skills (entry, intermediate, advanced)
• Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Familiar with computerized maintenance Management System (CMMS) and Maximo
• Familiar with standard manufacturing concepts, practices, and procedure
• Proficient in the use of the various trending and statistical manufacturing tools – QualTrend, Active Factory, WinSPC, etc.
• Understanding of basic statistics and use within the operational environment
General knowledge/skills (entry, intermediate, advanced)
• Planning and organizational skills including ability to manage multiple priorities
• Results oriented, high energy, credible, honest, self-motivated person
• Proficient communications skills: written, verbal, and listening
• Coaching skills to include: demonstrating procedures, leading by example, and persuading others
• Familiarity with safety activities including root cause investigations, safe behavior observations, team activities, industrial hygiene, and OSHA compliance
• Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to climb ladder and/or stairs and walk on open grating on elevated surfaces.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing.
• Must be able to drive a forklift which requires sitting for long periods of time, as well as the ability to use your arms and legs to work the controls, breaks and steering wheel.
• Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone.
• Occasionally operate business machines.
• High school diploma or GED required. Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• A minimum of 3 years as a production supervisor or 5 years as a lead operator in a heavy manufacturing environment.
• Experience in continuous process industry, preferably web process.
Direct reports: 17
Indirect reports: 5
Budget Responsibility: N/A
Travel Requirements: 5%