To provide proficient nursing care for an individual or group of patients with less predictable problems and to provide leadership in the implementation of high quality nursing care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
Dependent upon area of assignment performs all, or a combination of, the following:
- Uses advanced nursing knowledge and the nursing process to:
- Assess factors of the patient’s past and present physical, psychosocial, and cultural baseline, health problems, and external support systems which may impact on his/her ability to cope with current health situation.
- Define a nursing problem list, based on assessment of the patient that reflects the consideration of the medical diagnosis and the patient’s problems.
- Define realistic measurable goals related to each problem.
- Develop a nursing plan which is directed toward the optimal resolution of nursing diagnoses and prevention of future problems.
- Evaluates and document a patient’s progress toward goals.
- Collaborates with the appropriate health care professionals in implementing a comprehensive plan of care.
- Provide an individualized plan of nursing care which assists the patient in maximizing participation in his/her care.
- Collaborate with physician to revise the nursing plan of care and/ or goals as necessary.
- Implement appropriate patient education programs to meet individual health care needs.
- Assist physicians with day to day patient care
- Taking histories and assessing reason for visit.
- Assist with procedures and treatments
- Provide patient teaching when necessary
- Records nursing care using appropriate documentation.
- Demonstrates administrative and clinical leadership skills by:
- Planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care.
- Identifying and correcting situations not in accord with departmental policies and Procedures.
- Evaluating requirements and patient needs.
- Serving as a role model in the area of professional behavior.
- Precepting, procedure and clinical situations under direction of nurse manager.
- Maintains accountability for delivery of nursing care and for aspects of care delegated to others.
- Adheres to ethical and legal standards of the hospital and the profession.
- Uses results of nursing research to support and/or change nursing practice. Other Related Duties
- Work as telephone triage nurse
- To give advice to patients via telephone and in office
- To assess the needs of patients via telephone
- To handle calls in order of priority
- To make appointments whenever necessary
- To assist with referrals from outside physicians
- To re direct calls when appropriate
- To work directly with other support staff to handle problems
- Maintains professional expertise by earning contacts hours through review of current Nursing literature and/or attending conferences.
- Develop goals in consultation with nursing manager for professional growth and development.
- Participates in departmental meetings.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Current D.C. Licensure as a registered nurse or evidence of application for licensure in D.C and current out-of-state is necessary. Bachelor’s degree in nursing- OR- Diploma or associate degree in nursing.
At least two years of relevant clinical experience is necessary. Nursing experience in colorectal preferred.
Ability to input data into the computer, and analyze data as requested. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations. Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
Electronic Medical Record
Arm Hand Steadiness
Conducting Physical Examinations