Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Senior Accountants play a meaningful role in supporting Grainger’s strategy by assuring effective end-to-end processes and controls in addition to timely and accurate financials. Through extensive review, analysis, interpreting of financial metrics and benchmarking, they also deliver valuable insights to help instill a Controllership mindset across the organization. Senior Accountants are not only expected to drive a disciplined approach, but are also empowered to seek creative solutions.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
Main duties include but are not limited to:
- Apply GAAP while executing all Controllership activities in an accurate and timely manner. Ensure assigned GL accounts are accurately stated and substantiated. Leverage Blackline to automate and streamline the closing process.
- Prepare month end reporting/analysis and present results to Senior Management.
- Understand and be able to articulate end to end processes that impact general accounting.
- Ensure all key controls over financial reporting are designed and operating effectively, as assessed by internal and external auditors. Support the quarterly reviews and annual financial statement audit performed by external auditors.
- Complete balance sheet and income statement analytics and explain business reasons for large variances. Calculate key metrics and explain deviations to historical periods. Perform benchmarking to assess performance against competition.
- Drive continuous improvement by automating, refining, and implementing processes, tools, and deliverables both within Controllership and supporting business functions.
- Assess risks and opportunities and identify key operational and financial issues to be addressed. Provide recommendations and influence business decisions.
- Collaborate and assist cross functional business partners to execute strategic initiatives and investigate and resolve issues.
- Respond to ad hoc reporting and analysis requests on a timely and accurate basis.
- Accept new responsibilities as business needs change.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA and/or MBA preferred
- 3+ years of experience in problem solving, which may include any forms of analysis beyond corporate financial analysis. Examples include but are not limited to: financial modeling, profitability analysis, Discounted Cash Flow/NPV, financial statement analysis, investment/ratio analysis, statistical or predictive analytics, data mining, risk identification, business valuation, etc.
- Excellent analytical skills, intellectual curiosity, big picture thinking, ability to challenge the status quo and determine how controllership activities can be planned and executed more effectively and efficiently
- Understanding end to end processes, identification of critical risks to assess whether controls are designed and operating effectively
- Financial statement acumen, including knowledge of connectivity between Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow statements in addition to disclosure requirements
- Understanding and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), with research and implementation of new accounting standards as necessary
- Adherence to deadlines, especially during the monthly and quarterly close process. Additional hours may be required during close cycles
- Self-starter and ability to work independently, solve problems, and achieve results while managing multiple priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to understand the details and effectively share with Senior Management in a clear and concise manner
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to build effective relationships and influence decision making
- Agility and flexibility to operate in a dynamic and fast-paced organization
- Outstanding work ethic, team-oriented and customer-focused
- Drive to learn about different areas of the business, as well as a desire to strengthen financial acumen through diverse experiences and opportunities
- Experience with SAP, BPC and Blackline are highly desired
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
This position has a key impact on the organization by ensuring the timely and accurate accounting for all general accounting transactions. The Controllership has a critical role in ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and SEC requirements. Any error, either in amount or classification, has an impact on the Company’s reported results. Any error could also cause Company or operating management to take incorrect action. Furthermore, this position assists management in making informed decisions.
Sr. Accountants interact with several teams within Finance and outside of Finance in order to build partnerships that add business value. These partnerships may include:
Internal within Finance: FP&A, Financial Reporting, Internal Audit, Global Internal Controls, Treasury, Shared Controllership Services, AR/AP, Credit and Collections, Tax
Internal, outside of Finance: Supply Chain, Supplier Management, Enterprise Systems, Sales Operations, Marketing, Payroll & Benefits, HR, Legal, Indirect Procurement
External: External auditors, third party consultants and specialists
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles