The General Manager is responsible for the day to day operation of Books-A-Million stores as a Manager On Duty in conjunction with the management team to maximize sales and customer service. The General Manager also oversees the execution of all aspects of store operations by providing effective leadership, achieving maximum sales and profits, controlling budgetary expenses, and managing the store team through training and development.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maximizes sales, profits, and customer service by leading the store team and operating the store in adherence with all Company policy and guidelines.
- Plans, organizes, and directs store activities with the assistance of other store management.
- Ensures highest level of customer service and handles customer complaints to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Ensures efficient product flow within the store.
- Recruits and hires talent for the store team.
- Coaches, trains, and develops the Management staff.
- Facilitates effective communication to all store Associates through Daily Briefings, weekly and monthly meetings.
- Creates the store schedule to provide adequate coverage for all aspects of the store.
- Enhances store's reputation by establishing and maintaining good community relations and partnerships.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 21 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, college degree in business related field preferred.
- Previous management experience required.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to act in a mature and conscientious manner.
- Ability to supervise a large number of associates.
- Strong decision making, communication and merchandising skills.
- Successful completion of all required background screenings.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to use hands/arms to operate keyboard, telephone and for repetitive motion activities.
- Must be able to lift or team lift objects up to 50 lbs., with or without assistance.
- Must be able to communicate using speech, sight, and sound with or without assistive device.
- Must be able to stand, walk, climb, bend, stoop or crouch while performing daily activities of the job.
Training And Development
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this job
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to our
Trust and Site Security Team
Job ID: 3000/1899
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.