Sr. Engineer – Food & Confectionery
The Sr. Process Engineer collects and prepares data/information and performs detailed engineering calculations. The Sr. Process Engineer performs engineering design and analysis on complex or unique problems and coaches/mentors less experienced engineers, designers, and drafters. The Sr. Process Engineer demonstrates technical/professional growth annually by maintaining active membership in professional organizations and participating in technical seminars/courses. Responsibilities include the conceptual, basic process design of unit operations and preparation of process engineering deliverables such as process flow diagrams, heat and material balances, P&ID’s, specifications for equipment and instrumentation systems. The Sr. Process Engineer can work on projects for a diverse set of industries that include, Life Science (Agribusiness, Pharmaceutical, Food and Biotech), Process Chemical and Refining. Essential Functions:
Skills and Qualifications:
- Must be capable of leading process engineering and multi-discipline teams through all design phases of a capital project.
- Must be capable of directing and working with vendors & contractors for equipment design, installation, and execution of projects.
- Must have a working knowledge of mechanical equipment design & fabrication including materials of construction & design specifications
- Must have a working knowledge of industrial utility systems including steam, compressed air, chilled water, & HVAC systems
- Experience with processing & pumping high viscosity liquids such as chocolate, syrups, and pastes.
- Must have a working knowledge of food & confectionery unit operations including pumps, heat exchangers, tanks, extruders, depositors, mixers, piping systems, and mechanical & pneumatic conveying
- Have a working knowledge of food sanitary & safety operations including hygienic design, cleaning systems (CIP & COP), HACCP, GMPs, hazard recognition & analysis, construction practices, and industry standards & codes.
- Collects and prepares data/information, performs detailed engineering calculations, and writes formal engineering/technical reports.
- Develops technical equipment specifications & data sheets, performs technical evaluation of bids, and recommends best value design which meets client requirements for operability, reliability, maintainability and safety.
- Leadership in field work by checking installations and problem solving activities.
- Performs calculation checking and equipment vendor drawing reviews.
- Serves as Project Lead for more complex projects by estimating work hours, developing scope of work, making staffing recommendations, and checking drawings.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering required
- PE license preferred
- 8+ years of relevant experience in engineering consulting and/or manufacturing industry
- Previous experience in the Life Science, Process Chemical or Petroleum Refining industries
- Experience with process modeling software including Aspen Plus, HYSYS, SuperPro Designer and hydraulic modeling software
- Strong technical, organizational and communication skills, as well as the ability to develop creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Must be highly motivated with exceptional leadership and teamwork skills
The characteristics described below are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing duties of this job, the employee will:
- frequently be required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs and ladders, balance, stoop or kneel, talk and hear, and use fingers and hands to feel objects, tools or controls;
- occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- frequently use up-close vision, distance vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus.
Middough Inc. does not support sponsorship for any applicant that requires an employment visa (i.e., H-1B) to work lawfully in the U.S.
- Overtime may be necessary as workload’s dictate. This may include weekdays, weekends and/or holidays.
- The job may be performed at the Client’s production facility or industrial/construction job site and could last for extended periods of time.
- In some cases, the site working environment may include outside conditions and exposure to high temperatures.
- May require extended overnight travel to another client location/facility or office location.
- Conditions will vary at each location, but the conditions listed above will generally apply.
- When working outside Middough's office, appropriate safety training and safety equipment will be provided by Middough and/or Client, as required.
Middough Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of diversity and actively recruits minority, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.