Job Details Job Location
The Garlands of Barrington - Barrington, ILPosition Type
PT available only. We are looking for evening availability (4pm - 8:30 pm) on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
The Host/Hostess is responsible for ensuring that the first contact made with the Dining Room through every visit and every phone call, is positive and conveys the elegance that meets and exceeds the expectations of customers. The Host/Hostess ensures that the Dining Room’s reservation and seating systems operate smoothly and efficiently and that the expectations of customers are met and exceeded. The Host/Hostess acts as the Team Leader/Floor Manager and assumes responsibility in the Dining Room.
- Respectfully and pleasantly greets every individual that passes the hostess stand.
- Takes and logs reservations, checks to ensure tables are prepared in advance per reservations, and assigns customers to their table based on reservations and server rotation system.
- Prepares Host/Hostess station, equipping with full supplies.
- Ensures Dining Room menus are complete, accurate and well stocked.
- Keeps Dining Room areas and BOH clean and organized.
- Takes Member orders, in person or via phone, to be delivered to Member residences. Directs deliverer to Member residence.
- Provides general information and direction to customers.
- Works collaboratively with all Team Members and takes whatever action is necessary to provide the highest level of service to all customers of The Garlands.
CUSTOMER SERVICE & COMMUNICATION:
- Demonstrates excellent listening skills and communicates effectively while conveying patience and understanding.
- Treats all customers with dignity and respect and establishes a trusting relationship with them, while maintaining confidences.
- Demonstrates hospitality, pleasantly greeting each and every individual that passes the hostess stand and greeting members by name.
- Make sure all team members complete their side work.
- Make sure the team is constantly moving during down time. (This includes working towards side work completion, cleaning, and helping others with their side work).
- Assigns customers to table per reservations and server rotation system, and escorts them to their table in pleasant manner.
- Takes reservations, in person and over the phone, and logs them in the reservations book accurately and timely.
- Ensures that the Dining Room menus are complete, verifies with chef that they accurately reflect the given meal selections, and stocks the menus in the host/hostess stand.
- Straightens up Dining Room and Host Station throughout work shift.
- Keeps accurate records of, and appropriately responds to, individual Member dining preferences (menu, seating, etc.).
- Serves as a back-up to servers by providing ice water, rolls and water to ensure that customers are served promptly.
- Answers telephone calls promptly, providing callers with courteous and professional assistance. Responds to callers’ requests in a timely manner.
Completes opening day tasks. Example: Finding out what the specials of the day are that will be offered to the Members, typing them up and posting them for the staff. Finding out what is being served in Lettuce Chat, typing that up, posting it, and emailing the menu to all the departments. Activating an I-pad to have at the host stand to be able to take phone in orders.
- Administers end-of-day reports in supervisor’s office.
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date reservations log.
- Enters menu changes, e.g. specials, in computer as needed.
- Takes phone in orders, and enters the orders with an I-pad.
- Collects cash-out slips from servers and delivers them to the Supervisors office on a timely basis.
- Completes Incident Reports accurately and timely.
- Completes Concern Reports accurately and timely.
- Ensures cash drawer balances on consistent basis.
- Go to the bank as needed to get change orders.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Must be a flexible, highly customer service and people oriented individual who demonstrates compassion, patience and understanding and is willing to do whatever it takes to provide the highest level of service.
- Must be well organized and detail-oriented with the ability to handle a variety of responsibilities and changing priorities, while maintaining an upbeat, customer focus.
- Must be a team-oriented individual who enjoys working collaboratively with others, creating a positive and uplifting environment, and communicating very effectively at all levels.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekend and holidays.
- Takes pride in personal appearance and professional demeanor.
- Demonstrates knowledge of The Garlands’ entire facility and directs members appropriately, according to their needs.
- Possesses the written, verbal and numerical skills normally acquired through a high school education.
- Must be able to maintain calm in stressful times.
- Must be able to quickly acquire knowledge of resources, layout and design of The Garlands’ community.
- Must be detail-oriented and proactive, with the ability to take initiative, follow through and complete responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to demonstrate good organizational and time management skills.
- Must be able to delegate some responsibilities to the staff.
- Must be able to act as a Floor Manager.
- Must possess basic proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be able to tolerate long periods of standing.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Operate Cash Register
Appropriate Table Settings