The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time. Position Summary: This member of the Agile Transformation Team will engage government customers to identify, prioritize and implement actions that drive the enterprise toward rapid incremental fielding of critical software-driven capability. Putting research into practice and exposing actionable areas to focus new research, this technical leader will work with some of the most ambitious software intensive programs underway today. Addressing the needs of divergent stakeholders while tackling complex socio-technical challenges, the position requires deep experience in engineering leadership. In this role you will be coaching senior DoD leaders and their teams, enabling greater performance in the government-organic workforce. Enabling the adoption of new tools and techniques in highly regulated settings, your work will contribute to lowering barriers to innovation across the DoD. Requirements: * BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related field of study with at least ten (10) years of applicable experience; or master's degree in CS, Information Systems, systems and /or engineering, acquisition management, with at least eight (8) years of applicable experience; or PhD in relevant fields with at least five (5) years of experience. * Ability to travel - Must be flexible to travel between 25-50% to various customer locations within the U.S.
* You will be subject to a background investigation, and you must have the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: * Deep knowledge of software engineering including detailed knowledge of at least three of the following topics: requirements, software architecture, program and acquisition management, organizational performance improvement, product assurance, and/or security
* Knowledge of modern software development practices, including continuous integration & deployment, agile development patterns and DevOps culture
* Relevant experience within the last 5 years on a large system/software development program
* Knowledge of how to apply system engineering principles to system software development
* Ability to recognize key ingredients to success for self-directed teams operating in demanding projects with sometimes ambiguous goals and strict deadlines
* Ability to address the needs/expectations of established roles in an organization as it undergoes technology-driven transformations to exploit modern approaches and tools
* Exceptional communication skills, with an ability to address stakeholders and sponsors in positions of great authority/responsibility (including government officials)
* Ability to integrate diverse perspectives from enterprises made-up of different organizations, sometimes with competing goals and objectives
* Ability to coach leaders operating in a complex and demanding environment
* Robust facilitation skills to work with groups of people with divergent perspectives and widely varying levels of authority/responsibility
* Ability to work in a self-directed team setting, taking responsibility for outcomes and collaborative engagement with colleagues
* Knowledge of the typical roles and responsibilities for a wide range of roles in government acquisition settings and program management/oversight Desired Experience: * Recent experience from holding program management/oversight responsibilities for the development or acquisition of a major software-intensive system * Recent experience in supporting rapid incremental development approaches within a government/military program setting
* Leadership roles in software sustainment programs, with responsibilities for making resource and technical decisions in view of the long-term goals of a software-intensive platform
* Leadership roles in modernization programs, with responsibilities for oversight and planning for the evolution of deployed capabilities
* Experience communicating with leaders at various levels of responsibility (VPs, Colonels, CEOs and Generals)
* Prior experience as a Material Leader on a major ACAT-1 program is a plus CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. The most up-to-date information on CMU's COVID-19 mitigation requirements can be found here: Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus . Location
Arlington, VA, Pittsburgh, PA, Remote, Washington, D.C.
Staff - Regular
Full time/Part time
More Information: * Please visit " Why Carnegie Mellon " to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
* Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
* Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran .
* Statement of Assurance
- Agile Methodology
- Business Performance Management
- Business Process Improvement
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Security