Bub City in Chicago Is Seeking A Sous Chef … Join Our Leadership Team!
Get ready to serve up the best barbeque around! Take your talents to Bub City’s Chicago team as our next SOUS CHEF. We’re looking for someone who has high-volume
experience, enjoys working with a large team, and is skilled at running the line.
If you’re a hands-on leader with a passion for BBQ, please apply! We’re eager to hear from you. EOE. E-Verify.REQUIREMENTS:
- 2+ years of Sous Chef experience in a high-volume kitchen
- Skilled at leading production in a busy kitchen
- Experienced with working in a systems-driven environment
- Ability to lead by example with enthusiasm and consistency
- Experience with inventory and ordering
Bub City is the place to enjoy BBQ, beer, bourbon & the best of country music. With a focus on authentic Southern barbecue, signature items include 18-hour Beef Brisket, Burnt Ends, Baby Back Ribs, Carolina-Style Pulled Pork and Fried Chicken. Brunch menu includes classics like Biscuits and Gravy, Fried Chicken & Waffles, and Cinnamon Sticky Buns. Bub City offers an extensive Bloody Mary bar and more than 125 selections from well-known and independent distilleries throughout the country. Bub City has locations in Chicago and Rosemont, IL.We Offer:
Lettuce Entertain You is an Equal Opportunity Employer.We Participate in E-Verify. POSITION SUMMARY:
- Competitive pay
- Quarterly bonus program
- Restaurant discounts
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield medical/dental insurance
- Domestic partner benefits
- Vision plan
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Pre-tax transit benefit (where applicable)
- Nonsmoking working environment
- Training, development & advancement opportunities
- Paid time off including holiday, vacation, sick days, parental leave
- And more
Responsible for the daily operation of the kitchen and kitchen staff. Assist Executive Chef in creating and maintaining all menus and recipes used in the restaurant, and for the preparation, presentation, and service of these menu items. Work with the General Manager and Executive Chef in setting the direction of the business in day to day operations as well as a plan to grow the business, drive sales and manage costs. Also assist in hiring, supervising and developing all kitchen staff. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
(Other duties will be assigned as needed) Must be willing and able to do the following:
- Interact with, direct and supervise BOH employees on a daily basis in a fair and dignified manner.
- Interview, hire, train, develop and retain qualified BOH employees.
- Identify, address and document individual employee performance problems according to standard operating procedure. Discipline and/or terminate as necessary according to LEYE procedures.
- Schedule, conduct and document employee performance reviews according to standard operating procedure.
- Identify, train and develop key employees for growth, advancement and promotion.
- Understand and follow the food allergy procedure and special orders/restrictions.
- Perform a daily “walk through” inventory to prioritize product utilization.
- Assign production duties to all kitchen staff.
- Identify and communicate inventory and equipment needs to ordering Manager.
- Complete a daily product order.
- Perform a pre-shift line check to ensure quality of all items.
- Responsible for the purchase and ordering of all food product and supplies for the restaurant.
- Track high cost items according to standing operating procedure.
- Identify and communicate production needs to Pastry Chef.
- Meet daily with appropriate Manager/Chef to coordinate and ensure production standards, determine lunch and dinner specials, employee meals, complimentary pass outs and amuses, review kitchen personnel needs and issues, etc.
- Conduct shift cook meetings.
- Become proficient in all functions of Chef, Pastry Chef, Saucier, Line Cook, Prep Cook, Coordinator and Steward functions.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of recipe books prescribing ingredients, product specifications, and portion sizes, which become property of LEYE.
- Assist in the development of menus and food items.
- Prepare ingredients needed for recipes of menu items.
- Prepare food items according to prescribed recipes.
- Use equipment as prescribed in preparation of menu items.
- Maintain good quality standards including consistency and presentation.
- Coordinate proper food storage according to standard operating procedure.
- Communicate repair and maintenance needs to management.
- Ensure BOH employees understand and adhere to sanitation/safety guidelines.
- Safely and efficiently use knives and other tools, utensils and equipment necessary to complete preparation of menu items.
- Perform varied duties to ensure proper back of house operation according to standard operating procedure.
- Adhere to standing “zoning” procedures.
- Wear a hair restraint while on duty.
- Move safely through all areas of the restaurant, which may include stairs, uneven and slick surfaces.
- Must wash hands regularly, according to guidelines.
- Comply with all safety and sanitation guidelines and procedures.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area.
- Be able to stand and walk for an entire shift.
- Communicate cordially, effectively and clearly with all employees, managers and guests.
- Communicate in English in order to comprehend and perform/follow job requirements in written and spoken direction.
- Perform more than one task at a time.
- Maintain a positive, pleasant attitude every shift.
- Accept direction and constructive criticism from management.
- Perform calmly and effectively in an extremely busy and stressful work environment.
- Be able to work a variety of hours, days and shifts, including weekends and increased work schedules.
- Work in a confined, crowded space of variable noise and temperature levels.
- Lift and move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Must be willing and able to do the following:
- Get along with others and be a team player.
- Follow all uniform and appearance guidelines as befitting the image of the restaurant for the duration of the shift.
- Refrain from smoking for the duration of the shift.
- Arrive to work on time and in ready to work condition.
- Follow all rules, policies, procedures and conditions of employment outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- May not work under the influence of alcohol or any illegal drugs.
- May not resort to any type of violence, discriminatory or harassing behavior.
- Must successfully pass a drug and alcohol test within 90 days of hire date, where applicable.
Failure to abide by these and any other conditions of employment of the company set forth elsewhere can subject an employee to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Accessibility varies by location