Serves as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team. Responsible for carrying out designated duties to appropriate patients, performs task-related responsibilities as assigned by Registered Nurse (RN) or designee and reports all appropriate patient changes to RN or designee.
JOB DUTIES: Mental Health Technician
- Escorts patient from admission area to unit and ensures patient room is prepared for use.
- Follows the guidelines and accurately completes the Admission check sheet and other admission requirements.
- Thoroughly completes personal and belongings search for contraband including body search.
- Accurately takes, monitors and documents vital signs at time of admission and on an ongoing basis to include temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation and reports all vital signs results to the nurse
- Orients patient to unit and gives tour of unit.
- Establishes therapeutic relationships with patients and provides assigned patient care within the general policies, philosophy and objectives of the Nursing Department and the hospital.
- Implements interventions appropriate to the developmental needs of the patient in accordance with the treatment plan demonstrating sound clinical and professional judgment and competency.
- Monitors unit milieu and maintains a safe, therapeutic environment for patients, family member and staff. Modifies milieu according to developmental needs of the patients in collaboration with lead MHT and charge nurse.
- Responds to patients in crisis and acts according to developmental needs of the patient to ensure patient and unit safety.
- Completes patient rounds timely in accordance with unit requirements and accurately documents patient observations concurrently on the Patient Observation Record.
Education: High School diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in human services preferred.
Experience: Previous experience in psychiatric or residential treatment facility preferred.
Licensed Practical Nurse