A member of the Mayo Clinic Network, WellStar Health System is an 10-hospital system, recognized as the 5th most integrated health system in the United States, and the largest health system in Georgia.
WellStar is committed to investing in the communities we serve. We continue to develop innovative care models, focused on improving quality and access to healthcare. To this end, under the umbrella of Wellstar’s Behavioral Health Service Line, the WellStar Medical Group is excited to announce an opportunity for a Medical Director of Psychiatry to support Wellstar Cobb Hospital in Austell, GA.Responsibilities
MEDICAL DIRECTOR, COBB PSYCHIATRY
Monday through Friday
Wellstar Cobb is a 375+ bed hospital with well-developed clinical service lines, serving the southern region of Cobb County in the greater Atlanta area. Cobb Hospital is a primary hub of Wellstar’s comprehensive behavioral health services for adults 18 years and older. On the Cobb Hospital campus, there is a 32-bed freestanding inpatient adult behavioral health unit. In 2021, services will expand on the Cobb campus to include an outpatient psychiatry practice and the reopening of an intensive outpatient program. The additions of these services will ensure that Wellstar patients have access to a continuum of behavioral health care to help manage symptoms stemming from a psychiatric and/or substance use disorder.
In addition to traditional behavioral health services. Wellstar Cobb also provides access to mental health services through the inpatient consultation-liaison psychiatry program, which supports the Cobb Hospital Emergency Department and the medical floors. These services are bolstered by a team of Masters-level therapists who work collaboratively with employed psychiatrists to ensure that patients receive optimal care.
In an effort to further integrate Cobb’s psychiatric services, we are actively recruiting a Medical Director of Cobb Psychiatry. Reporting to Wellstar’s Chief Behavioral Health Officer through the Medical Group’s Department of Psychiatry, the Medical Director will allocate 20% time to administrative functions and 80% time to the delivery of psychiatric care.
Clinical Responsibilities (80%)
- Holds hospital privileges at Cobb Hospital
- Provides on-site psychiatric services, Monday through Friday
- Provides psychiatric assessments for patients presenting with acute psychiatric presentations in the Cobb Emergency Department and the medical floors
- Provides pharmacotherapy as needed, using best practice protocols for treatment of a heterogenous patient population, including individuals with encephalopathy, delirium, neuropsychiatric sequela from acquired and traumatic brain injury, substance use disorders, schizophrenia, and a range of other psychiatric illnesses
- Collaborates and liaisons with the Medical Staff, masters-level therapists, nursing staff, and safety sitters
- Utilizes best practices in caring for patients who are at-risk for mortality due to suicide and/or the risks associated with substance use disorders – in alignment with Wellstar’s system-wide suicide prevention and opioid stewardship initiatives.
- Makes recommendations and clinical decisions regarding appropriate inpatient and outpatient care
- Provides quality psychiatric care to patients in a safe and efficient manner
- Agrees to cooperate with, participate in, and comply with, the quality assurance, risk management and peer review programs, grievance procedures and utilization control mechanisms implemented by the Medical Group and its Affiliates.
- Documents clearly and efficiently in the medical record (i.e. Epic)
- On an as-needed basis, may support patient needs through the use of a telepsychiatry platform
Administrative Responsibilities (20%)
Serves as the WMG Psychiatry Medical Director over the South Cobb submarket, which is comprised of 9 clinicians (6 psychiatrists and 3 advanced practitioners). The Cobb Psychiatry Medical Director oversees all behavioral health services across the continuum of care, helping to improve service coordination, improve access to care, and deliver quality outcomes.
The Medical Director of Cobb Psychiatry provides direct oversight for a group of psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners who support the inpatient and outpatient psychiatric needs of Wellstar patients. The Medical Director will support clinicians providing a range of programs, including Cobb’s inpatient psychiatry consultation-liaison program, the inpatient behavioral health unit, and outpatient psychiatry services. (S)He will help to develop an integrated psychiatric service that sets the standard for comprehensive behavioral healthcare within the greater Atlanta area.
Leader as Coach & Collaborator
- Holds regular huddles with the Cobb behavioral health team to coordinate services and care
- Holds regular business meetings (at least monthly) with Cobb psychiatry providers to discuss systems/patient flow quality, mitigate barriers to patient access, improve patient satisfaction, and optimize the experience of the Cobb psychiatry team
- Builds effective relationships with other BH clinical/medical directors (e.g.’s Medical Director of Kennestone Psychiatry, Director of Neuropsychology, and Director of Health Psychology)
- Meets with Cobb Medical Staff leaders to identify opportunities to improve access, reduce length of stay and hospital readmissions, etc.
- Meets regularly with Wellstar’s Chief Behavioral Health Officer (CBHO) to review progress and performance of Cobb BH services
- Collaborates effectively with the Medical Group psychiatry practice manager and other operational leaders
- Provides mentorship and professional development opportunities for Cobb psychiatry team members
- Develops methods to support team member well-being, addressing drivers of burnout and ensuring that clinicians have the resources necessary to fulfill job responsibilities
- Holds crucial conversations with team members with performance improvement opportunity
Leader as Creator
- Makes recommendations to CBHO regarding strategic growth opportunities for Cobb Behavioral Health services
- Identifies opportunities to improve access to psychiatric services within the south Cobb submarket
- Adopts innovative care models to support the inpatient needs of the Cobb submarket
- Works with the CBHO and other clinical leaders to develop pathways that improve access to needed care across the inpatient-outpatient continuum
Leader as Competitor
- Directs the day-to-day psychiatric services occurring at Wellstar Cobb Hospital
- Sets annual quality and performance goals that raises the standard of psychiatric care
- Partners with other Behavioral Health Service Line directors to attract the top talent and positioning the program for long-term success and brand recognition
- Advances psychiatric services at Wellstar Cobb by building recruitment pipelines with the top residency programs in the U.S.
Leader as Coordinator & Monitor
- Establishes productivity standards for the inpatient psychiatry team
- Aligns outpatient productivity standards with other Wellstar outpatient psychiatrists
- Maintains a staffing model that supports and sustains the inpatient consultation-liaison and inpatient behavioral health services
- Monitors quality and safety indicators that align with Wellstar’s Zero Suicide and other priority clinical initiatives
- Leverages the EMR (Epic) to standardize protocols and reduce practice variation
- Identifies and implements methods to improve practice efficiency
- Provides real-time feedback to physicians and advanced practitioners regarding individual performance related to professional conduct and clinical outcomes
- Participates in Root Cause Analysis meetings involving Cobb Behavioral Health patients
Behavioral Health Service Line Involvement
- Serves as a BH Service Line cabinet member
- Attends all Behavioral Health Service Line cabinet meetings
- Presents practice updates at Behavioral Health Service Line cabinet meetings
- Sits on Wellstar’s Service Line Quality and/or Safety committee
- Collaborates with the BH Service Line Finance Chair
Required Minimum Education
- completion of a medical degree (MD/DO)
- completion of general ACGME psychiatry residency training program
- license to practice psychiatry in the State of Georgia
- ABPN board-certification
Apply through [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Physician- Medical Director of Cobb Psychiatry- Austell, GA. Please also forward a copy of your CV and cover letter to provider recruiter, Beth Guerin at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Physician- Medical Director of Cobb Psychiatry- Austell, GA.
- Ambulatory Care
- Behavioral Medicine
- Clinical Works
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Community Mental Health Services