Summary: Overview: Performs a variety of general building services including but not limited to the
repair, operation, general upkeep, maintenance, safety and security duties according to Facilities and Program procedures and protocols.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the overall maintenance and operations of buildings and grounds of the
institution, insuring that the facility is/are clean, properly functional, in good repair, safe and secure.
- Responsible for basic building repairs such as plumbing, carpentry, painting, plastering, electrical and HVAC and to other building related systems.
- May be assigned to open/close program unit/buildings and operate basic building systems such as security locksets, alarms, lighting, HVAC, fire safety, utilities etc.
- Be familiar with all JBFCS and regulatory requirements pertaining to facility program operations, facilities maintenance and general safety requirements (OSHA, DEP, NYFD etc.).
- Cleans, lubricates, repairs, maintains, organizes and stores all required tools and equipment.
- Responsible for grounds maintenance, mowing, raking, weeding, planting, pruning etc.
- Responsible for removing ice / snow, maintaining sidewalks clean and free from debris as per and NYC DOS regulations
- Collects, manages trash removal and recycling as per building requirements NYC DOS regulations.
- Moves office furniture, equipment and supplies in and around building and grounds in the course of executing their duties.
- Work from OSHA approved ladders and work platforms as required to complete basic repairs and maintenance
- Attends and successfully completes safety, security and other trainings required by the agency.
- Drive themselves and coworkers when necessary using company vehicles in the course of doing their jobs as directed by management.
- Observes, documents and reports to supervisors, any problems with the building, unit or property including all facility related as well as safety/operational issues.
- Use hand tools, power tools, ladders / lifts, personal safety gear and follow safety protocols as directed.
- Observe and report all work performed by external vendors and landlord’s building superintendents to insure quality of work and compliance with agency specifications; facilitate access to work areas.
- Complete and return work orders; keeps documents and maintains records, ensures follow up and competition of required tasks.
- May be assigned to alternate agency units/ buildings as required.
- Required to attend and pass all required training (equipment use, OSHA, DEP etc.) provided by The Jewish Board and / or other operational requirements of the Agency.
- Must perform other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- The work environment requires ability to work under adverse weather conditions
- To perform the essential functions of this job, the candidate is routinely required to work on their feet throughout the course of the work day
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds during the course of their job
GED /High School Diploma is highly preferred
Must be able to speak, read write and understand English at a high school level.
Strong mechanical aptitude and well-rounded hands on mechanical skills
Valid driver’s license maintained throughout the course of employment
Five (5) years’ experience in building Construction/maintenance/repair, an Educational/Trade certificate in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years’ experience.
Required to work well with people and have strong customer service skills