UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Underwriting Consultant is responsible for underwriting, pricing and processing accounts in accordance with established underwriting and service standards while following guidelines and authority limits.
This includes analyzing benefit plan characteristics through case risk evaluation, product pricing and making appropriate risk decisions on new and renewal business. The Underwriting Consultant is responsible for preparing, delivering proposals, and negotiating solutions.
This role is part of National Accounts Specialty Benefits Underwriting team. The Specialty Benefits team is responsible for Dental, Vision and Financial Protection (Life, Disability, Critical Illness, Accident and Hospital Indemnity).
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges. Hartford, CT preferred.
- Prepare financial experience rating calculations and other ongoing financial reviews that directly aligns with client strategies
- Validate renewals and request for proposals for accuracy including utilization and experience reporting
- Conduct competitive analysis of all coverage lines and present financial and contractual findings to Management
- Evaluate, recommend and negotiate pricing as well as providing potential alternatives and options for NB and Renewal groups with internal and external customers
- Effectively communicate to sales personnel pricing recommendations and financial position
Location: Telecommute - this position would be ideally located in Hartford, CT. However, other locations and telecommuting will be considered.
Outside of Hartford, CT; position will be fully telecommute
For candidates in Hartford, CT or commutable distance; 2-3 days (T-R) may be required to be in office but may vary from week to week
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Math, Finance, Business, or related degree
- Intermediate level of proficiency with MS office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- 3+ years of experience with Risk Management
- 3+ years of data analysis and reporting experience
- 2+ years of presentation experience
- Specialty underwriting experience
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
Soft Skill Targets:
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Solid Analytical Skills
- Solid Negotiation Skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $66,100 to $118,300. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $72,800 to $129,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.