Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:Education Required:Experience Required:Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Verifies positive patient identification to ensure patient safety. Assesses patient reactions to specimen procurement.
- Performs Venipuncture and collects other specimens from newborn, pediatric, and adult patients according to established protocol. Obtains medical assistance when judged necessary.
- Obtains specimens according to priority and scheduled draw times. Ensures completion of specimen collection functions according to protocol. Ensures that specimens are properly labeled and suitable for testing. Resolves specimen identification and/or requisition problems and clarifies requests.
- Performs limited testing under Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), 1988 guidelines according to established policies and procedures.
- Answers and screens telephone calls. Assists with inventory and maintains supplies and/or equipment. Provides assistance in support of Billing and other business functions.
- Accepts specimens from a variety of internal and external customers. Receives and sorts specimens. Packages and tracks specimens for transport. Processes specimens for testing, including aliquoting, pre-analytical steps, and loading instruments, while maintaining proper specimen identification. Responds to additional specimen procurement requests via pager or other means.
- Orders and verifies test requests. Documents appropriate information for quality assurance/improvement according to established protocol. Runs quality control checks. Takes appropriate action to notify providers of stat, critical and other abnormal results as defined by policy and procedure.
- Performs laboratory result entry in the computer system.
- Performs internal and external proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples. Reviews various pending and management reports. Generates and distributes reports.
- Instructs employees and students in phlebotomy, data entry and specimen processing functions.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department's policies and procedures. Age-specific information is developed further in the departmental job standards.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Demonstrates knowledge and experience in phlebotomy or related laboratory function.
- Basic computer skills including experience using computer software applications.
- Keyboarding and typing skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Good listening skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated customer service skills to interface effectively with physicians, patients, visitors, and other healthcare employees.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
- Frequently lifts up to 10 lbs. Occasionally lifts up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk and bend the majority of the workday.
- May be exposed to mechanical, electrical, chemical, radioactive and/or infectious agents.
- Will be exposed to human blood and body fluids.
- Must wear appropriate lab coat, gloves, gowns and eye and face protection as needed.
- Must be able to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Join our Talent Network
Lab at Advocate Aurora Jobs like this
- Med Techg Clinic
Two Rivers, WI
- Medical Laboratory Scientist / Medical Lab Technician - Manitowoc, Full time 2nd/3rd shift
Two Rivers, WI
- Medical Technologist / Medical Lab Technician (MLT) - Full Time Third Shift - Manitowoc
Two Rivers, WI
Advocate Aurora Health is committed to diversity and inclusion every single day and in everything we do. Diversity lives in the differences, great and small, that matter to us and make each of us unique - from our age and the color of our skin, to our abilities and the things we believe in. We know that empowering our differences inspires creativity that leads to innovative solutions - for our team members, consumers and communities. And because health care is built upon relationships, it's important for the people we serve to be able to trust us to meet their unique needs. By cultivating an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion, we create a welcoming environment where our patients can heal, our team members can thrive and our business can grow. As a team member, working in a diverse setting allows you the chance to grow in ways that will broaden your perspective to deliver the best possible patient care.
- Active Listening
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
- Medical Laboratory