Raleigh General Hospital
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and plays a key role in building and maintaining relationships between hospital management and the medical staff, as well as recruiting new physicians. In addition, the CMO collaborates with Administration and leads in clinical transformation efforts to improve patient care quality and safety and overall clinical effectiveness and efficiency.
- Provides leadership and expertise for medical staff service, hospital quality and clinical effectiveness.
- Provides Leadership to Department of Medical Staff Services ensuring effective credentialing & privileging, peer review and medical staff committee functions. Orchestrates organized Medical Staff committees & functions to ensure effective Governance.
- Provides leadership and expertise for graduate medical education, including medical students and residents.
- Evaluates and optimizes the care management approach, process of disease management, patient satisfaction, patient safety and develops processes to assure appropriateness of care including length of stay and ancillary resource utilization.
- Provides an environment of quality and cost improvement that is data driven and develops systems to review utilization of resources and objectively measure outcomes of care in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Monitors physician and group patterns, presents data, analysis and interpretation to physicians and physician and hospital committees for review and guides efforts to improve.
- Assures that quality management programs are carried out in all clinical areas through the development and implementation of effective disease management programs, clinical protocols and guidelines, other decision tools, and review of the outcomes.
- Develops a performance database incorporating Joint Commission (TJC) and other key quality indicators to provide leadership necessary to meet regulatory requirements and guidelines.
- Partners and collaborates with the medical staff and management team, facilitating teamwork, aligned efforts and goals.
- Assists with program and service line growth and development.
- Helps represent medical staff viewpoints to administration and relay administrative views to medical staff & provides on-going counsel and advice to Executive Leadership regarding the medical staff on physician matters.
- Provides strategic leadership by focusing teams and organization units on visions and distinctive strategies that result in excellent short and long-term performance in clinical, service, and financial outcomes.
- Integrates evidence-based medicine practices wherever possible, building this into new and existing patient care delivery systems.
- Facilitates, intervenes, and moderates all major physician-physician, physician-patient, and physician-staff concerns with executive team members. Promotes a just culture and ensures effective oversight and remediation of concerns.
- Implements organizational structures which promote shared accountability, high achievement and compliance with applicable laws and regulations; this to include electronic linkages and care delivery tools.
- Ensures medical staff development plans and programs are implemented and maintained as required by policy.
- Integrates clinical care quality and management with nursing, operations and finance; partners with members of the senior management team, particularly the Chief Nursing Officer, in this endeavor.
- Dedicates resources and time to developing physician leadership in an incremental manner, with a focus on the existing medical staff officers and clinical chiefs.
- Oversees Educational Programing including medical students, Allied Health, shadowing, and medical staff CME and Grand Rounds efforts.
- Integrates with the Health Support Center Quality and Clinical Operations department and participates in appropriate physician leadership and quality forums
- Additional duties and responsibility as assigned by Chief Executive Officer
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires prolonged sitting and some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in an office environment and involves frequent contact with staff and the public.
Minimum Qualifications (Experience, Education and Special Certifications…)
LifePoint Health is committed to providing Equal Employment Opportunities for all applicants and employees and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of color, race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation, veterans’ status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
- MD or DO degree, completed residency training in a recognized specialty, board certification in the specialty of training and management (MBA, MHA, MMM, MPH) degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Effective communicator; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous practice experience.
- Proven leadership skills and accomplishments.
- Must have knowledge of hospital structure, operations, and infrastructure of quality and utilization.
- Requires expertise with medical staff processes, policies and procedures and Joint Commission accreditation.
- Experience in managing, developing and mentoring physicians.
- Knowledge of and experience with physician education and training programs
- Highly motivated in the areas of quality improvement and clinical transformation, with proven expertise in multiple aspects of healthcare such as quality assessment, peer review, delineation of clinical privileges, outcomes research, clinical profiling, evidence-based medicine and service quality.
- Audio Equipments
- Clinical Works
- Coaching And Mentoring