Every day, Kelly Services connects professionals with opportunities to advance their careers. We currently have an exciting direct hire / permanent position opportunity as a Controls Engineer for a top fortune 500 company in Rocky Mount NC.
Title: Controls Engineer
Duration: Direct Hire / Permanent Position
Location: Rocky Mount NC
Positions Available: 2
Shift: 1st shift and 3rd shift (830PM – 630AM)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with the development of all aspects of electrical control systems, equipment, and machinery. Assists with the development and design of control systems; assists with the development and implementation of bench tests; alters software and equipment to ensure that sensors and actuators are functioning according to specifications; supports and debugs basic problems and change requests.
- Assists with the preparation of cost estimates; compiles required cost and equipment information, and drafts appropriation requests.
- Investigates problems and requirements of projects, and develops plans for solutions in line with economic, personnel, and environmental considerations for review by more experienced Controls Engineers or Controls Engineering Manager.
- May be responsible for the installation and technical support of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) based hardware and software.
- Sensor Technology and Measurement - Involves understanding the functionality of factory floor sensing technologies. This includes analog and digital position and process monitoring. Understand the basics of sensor function and communication. Can assist in the troubleshooting of system problems.
- Electrical Safety - Knowledge of related legislation, policies, procedures, and safety concerns related to electrical safety. Identification and control of electrical hazards, knowledge of lock out/tag out requirements, and electrical safety (including NFPA 70E requirements and electrical protection devices such as highly sensitive differential circuit breakers, fuses, etc.) Knows legislation, policies, procedures, and safety concerns related to electrical safety. Identifies and controls electrical hazards.
- Fundamentals Of Controls Engineering - Knowledge of various hardware and software used in the control of manufacturing processes and equipment. Includes understanding of: Programmable Logic Controllers, Ladder Logic, and Human-Machine Interfaces. Communication networks and protocols used on the shop floor.
- Control systems including pneumatic, hydraulic, and electrical sources of energy. Sensors, actuators, and various loop control technologies. Motion control, servo systems, and multiaxis control including robotics environment. Working knowledge of electrical controls. Good understanding of programmable logic controllers and ladder logic programs.
- Can troubleshoot electrical circuits and understand electrical prints. Understand how machines operate and can suggest and implement basic improvements. Basic knowledge of the interface of the shop floor control system to the plant's Manufacturing Execution System.
- Manufacturing Execution System - Understanding the information management system used to provide data TO users and machines on the production floor, collect data FROM users and machines on the production floor, and communicate with business system applications such as Enterprise Resource Planning, scheduling and Product Data Management. Understands the functionality that is commonly supported by a Manufacturing Execution System. Can retrieve information that is needed from the Manufacturing Execution System. Knows how to provide information to the Manufacturing Execution System.
- Programmable Logic Controller (Plc) Technologies - Involves understanding and being able to use factory floor Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) technologies. Detailed understanding of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) based machine control and communication technologies.
- Able to work with consultants to specify their design and operation. Can assist in the troubleshooting of system problems.
- Factory Automation And Control Systems - Understanding of the closed loop control of factory automation systems. Understand the basics of how to set up and adjust existing systems. Can assist in the troubleshooting of system problems.
- Electrical System Troubleshooting - This skill involves being familiar with the national, state, and local electrical codes that apply to their facility. It also involves the ability to design and repair facility and machine electrical systems while utilizing the required safety procedures. Thorough understanding of machine electrical design requirements. Understands safety requirements and lockout/tag out procedures and uses them at all times. Routinely references national, state and local electric codes.
- Factory Floor Networking - Understanding the functionality of factory floor networking systems. This includes Ethernet technologies and data transfer from PCs and Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)s to Information Technology (IT) data warehouse. Understands the basics of networking and data transfer technologies and is able to work with consultants to specify their design and operation.
- Can assist in the troubleshooting of system problems.
Education / Experience:
- College, university, or equivalent degree in Engineering or a related subject required.
- Minimal level of relevant work experience required.
Important information: This position is recruited for by a remote Kelly office, not your local Kelly branch. Applicants must be legally permitted to work in the United States. Please contact Michelle Niemira (URL blocked - click to apply) for immediate consideration.
- As a Kelly Services employee, you will have access to numerous perks, including:
- Exposure to a variety of career opportunities as a result of our expansive network of client companies
- A competitive hourly pay rate with weekly checks
- Access to newly expanded Medical Plan options
- Online continuing education via the Kelly Learning Center
- Several employee discounts
- And more!
Kelly puts you in charge of your career, with access to cutting edge projects and technologies in
industry leading organizations. Top companies throughout the world have trusted Kelly as a premier
source of engineering talent and services since 1965. And engineering job seekers know Kelly as a firm
with an unmatched reputation for quality, integrity and professionalism. Whether you seek the variety
and flexibility of working on short term project engagements, or prefer contract-to-hire or direct
hire placement with our clients, apply with Kelly to explore opportunities that suit your specific
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world and have a role in connecting thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2017 was $5.4 billion. Visit URL blocked - click to apply and connect with us on URL blocked - click to apply, URL blocked - click to apply and URL blocked - click to apply.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females,
Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is
committed to employing a diverse workforce. URL blocked - click to apply
Based on Job Title, Location and Skills
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this job
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to our
Trust and Site Security Team
Job ID: US41L8MN_BH1598123
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
In a recent study, one-third of large companies predicted contingent workforce growth of 50 percent or more.* Kelly Engineering Resources® can help you be a part of this contingent workforce growth opportunity.
Kelly Engineering Resources, a specialty service of Kelly Services®, is focused exclusively on placing skilled engineering professionals in contract, contract-to-hire, and full-time engineering jobs across a full spectrum of related industries and disciplines, including:
Kelly Engineering Resources employees work more than 6 million hours in positions ranging from chemical engineers to robotic technicians to R&D specialists to AutoCAD® designers.
It all began when William R. Kelly—founder of the temporary staffing industry—established Kelly Services® in 1946. The company's traditional expertise started with office services, call center, light industrial, and electronic assembly staffing. Through the years, we expanded our expertise and established a proven record of successfully matching job seekers to opportunities in disciplines such as science, engineering, law, education, healthcare, IT, and finance. As a Fortune 500® company, Kelly® has evolved into a global workforce solutions leader, making employment connections for nearly half a million people around the world every year.
Since our founding, we have embodied the true spirit of social responsibility. Our character and values resonate through our culture. Inherently—through our core business focus—we seek to improve the quality of life for our employees, their families, and their communities, as well as society at large. We embrace the role we play and the value we contribute to society—whether ensuring equal opportunity to employment, promoting safer workplace conditions, advocating for healthcare reform, or adhering to sustainable business practices.
Together with our employees and our customers, we will continue to work toward ensuring that our legacy will remain strong for generations to come. For more than 60 years, people have trusted Kelly Services to help them reach their career goals. We are your proven link to employment opportunities that will pave the way for a successful future. Whoever and wherever you are—and with the right skills and attitude—Kelly can help you find a job, expand your career, and build your future.
*According to “The Emerging New Workforce,” a 2009 report by Littler Mendelson, P.C., an employment and Labor Law solution firm.
View the full profile