Based in Rochester or Binghamton, NY, the Manager, Corporate Communications – RG&E is responsible for managing day-to-day corporate communications in support of the business. This person will work with the operating business and internal stakeholders across the company to ensure consistency of message and “one voice” in line with the Avangrid corporate communications strategy and messaging.
Working closely with the President of NYSEG & RG&E as well as colleagues in regulatory, government affairs, legal and operations, the person in this role will provide communications support in order to enhance the company’s reputation and its standing with all stakeholders including customers, elected officials and employees in the communities the companies serve. This role has a counterpart at NYSEG based in Albany, NY, and coordination of activities with this colleague will be imperative to success in this role.
This position reports to the Director of Corporate Communications, Networks, and will work with all levels of the corporate and RG&E organization as well as with senior Avangrid management on a range of matters involving reputation management. The Manager would also serve as the Public Information Officer during storm events and be responsible for managing issues and crises as they arise.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Skills and Requirements
• Serves as day-to-day RG&E spokesperson, serving as first point of contact for local media that cover the company. This may include on-camera interviews with local media.
• Coordinates, preps and staffs interviews for key spokespeople as well as actively pitching stories to the press to gain positive media coverage.
• Manages coordination of incoming press calls, determining response and ensuring timely response.
• Maintains list of local reporters, managing and monitoring interactions with them to ensure a seamless experience with the company and consistency of message.
• Helps develop and disseminate key messaging materials to internal stakeholders to ensure consistency of message.
• Maintains and updates materials that make up a “Media Bureau” resource for RG&E that includes, final communications plans, fact sheets, press releases, messages and statements, updated executive bios and photos, etc.
• Executes a strategy for proactively promoting the company’s corporate social responsibility efforts.
• Works with the Avangrid Social Media team to develop and optimize content.
• Manages issues affecting the business and manages crisis communications, including developing preparations for responding to potential crises.
• Work with senior management on regular, periodic assessments of reputational risks and actions to mitigate those risks, with reporting as part of a company-wide risk assessment and monitoring process.
• Coordinates company communications, corporate social responsibility and community relations in support of business initiatives, operations and capital investment projects.
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, writing, editing and project management skills, with a proven ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
2. Strong strategic and analytical capability.
3. Must be highly adaptable and resilient to change.
4. Strong ability to work with senior leaders and manage relations with key internal and external stakeholders on communication opportunities and business issues.
5. Ability to multi-task and quickly prioritize projects and work under pressure and tight deadlines.
6. Self-starter, independent worker, strong team and cross-functional collaborator, motivated individual who is able to effectively direct and manage priorities while meeting deadlines for deliverables.
7. Excellent leadership and collaboration skills in effectively managing stakeholders across levels and business functions.
• A minimum of 8 years’ experience in a communications-related field such as public relations, journalism, marketing or government/public affairs with responsibility for developing and executing strategic communications initiatives.
• Energy industry experience is a plus, but not a necessity.
• Demonstrated success in building brand, image and company reputation through strategic media relations, social media and other communications related to company positioning, strategic initiatives, executive profiles, earnings and other corporate matters.
• Experience in providing decisive recommendations and strategic counsel to Executive Staff Members, Vice Presidents, Business Directors and others.
• Experience creating and editing corporate internal communications, executive messaging, press releases, social media messaging, talking points, speeches, FAQs, etc.
• Strong track record of media relations experience, including providing statements to, and conducting interviews with the media, and preparing senior executives for media interviews and other events. Existing relationships with Rochester-area media a plus.
• Experience with on-camera media interviews.
• Experience developing plans for and managing crisis communications and adept at managing complex and sensitive business issues.
• Ability to travel within the RG&E service region, project sites, industry conferences, and other business-related locations.
• Travel up to 10%.
• BA/BS degree in communications, government/public affairs, public relations, marketing, journalism, or related work experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
AVANGRID employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties.
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at [ Phone number blocked ] - URL blocked - click to apply or [ Email removed ] - ||