Registered Nurse Job Summary
To coordinate and administer nursing care in the medical practices for children with special needs and medical complexity. The nurse provides clinical care and oversight for medical service including but not limited to. patient|family education, vaccine administration, point of care testing, patient triage and office evaluation. The nurse collaborates with internal and external care providers to ensure continuum of care is delivered within a patient and family centered, team-based model consistent with the values and mission of Children's Specialized Hospital.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides clinical oversight for the duties of the medical assistant and provides competency as needed.
- Demonstrates proficiency in caring for children with special needs including those with technology dependence and medical complexity.
- Demonstrates procedural competency for routine and emergent office based procedures (for example. Venipuncture, tracheostomy care, gastrostomy change).
- Performs patient scheduling and other clerical duties as necessary.
- Performs and oversees competency and quality assurance for office-based point of care testing.
- Consistently appraises clinical performance and learning needs through self-evaluation.
- Exhibits consistent professional behavior and is accountable for actions with regard to professional issues.
- Maintains required and relevant licensure and educational credits as required by external and departmental standards.
- Participates in Hospital Committees related to Nursing.
- Performs functions for EE Health when needed.
- Oversees flow and function of practice operations as needed.
- Ensures clinical staff coverage for site practice(s) by identifying coverage resource and maintaining coverage calendar
- Demonstrates evidence of use of the nursing process to meet patient and family health care needs in the primary care and medical specialty setting. Performs and documents nursing care according to hospital and departmental policy.
- Implements appropriate and individualized patient and family education within time frames defined by Practice guidelines or Provider directives, hospital and departmental policy.
- Provides patient education on diagnosis and symptoms, medication management and behavioral modification as directed by provider.
- Understands the importance of the interdisciplinary process. Promotes continuity of nursing care and interdisciplinary interventions.
- Displays competency in obtaining and interpreting the patients behavior based upon an understanding of cognitive, biophysical, and aging processes. Displays an understanding of the developmental needs of the patient when planning and implementing services.
- Performs and manages vaccination administration, ordering, education and reporting in line with external and internal standards.
- Recognizes and respects patient| family rights in a culturally and religiously sensitive environment of care.
- Performs and documents effective phone and live clinical triage of patients.
- Performs Medication refill and authorizations as needed.
Formal Education and Job-Related Experience
BSN Mandatory. Experience with medical technology and medically complex children is preferred.
*Pediatric Exprerience Preferred
AHA BLS Provider Certification required.
*NJ State Certification
As per clinical duties and job functions.
Contact with medications, chemicals and equipment.
Electronic Medical Record
Arm Hand Steadiness
Conducting Physical Examinations