Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
This position will provide supervision and direction for Network Technicians performing various splicing functions on new and existing cable, fiber and wire. This position is responsible for implementing strategies and plans to accomplish company objectives in the Network Implementation organization. This includes, but is not limited to, copper and fiber networks built underground, buried or aerial facilities, and pad and pole mount electronic devices. It also includes, but is not limited to, overseeing the installation of network elements related to Ethernet projects, CORE ring builds, and capacity exhaust projects. This position will be responsible for supervising union-represented Technicians.
The Main Responsibilities
- Supervise construction activities ensuring efficient operations and quality service in a timely manner (e.g. digging holes, placing poles, laying cable and conduit in the ground).
- Prepare plans and specifications on all projects within the region to support the development and organizational objectives.
- Ensure Technicians perform all work and handle all tools in accordance with accepted safety rules, regulations, and practices.
- Oversee Technician use and maintenance of heavy-duty equipment; for example: compressors, pumps, blowers, hand tools, power tools (air and electric), electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters), tractors, backhoes, trenchers, and hydraulic equipment (e.g., forklifts, aerial lifts, pallet jacks).
- Ensure Technicians make necessary test for gas before entering utility hole or vault. Use Life Support equipment to check utility holes and vaults for gas. Must pump water and/or clean debris from utility hole.
- Participate in the process of negotiating and or bidding of projects with vendors and contractors for the construction and/or installation of plant facilities.
- Provide supervision to technicians on designs and plans to evaluate and implement new services, technologies, and products within established standards.
- Provide supervision to represented Plant Facilities personnel, including, but not limited to, line workers, cable splicers and equipment installers, etc. Supervise the development and maintenance of engineering and construction cost analysis to provide the basis for engineering estimates and contract awards on a Division level.
- Ensure the plans and specifications created by Plant Facilities support approved business strategies and provide a platform that is scalable and migratable to support future service requirements.
- Provide recommendations for necessary training for engineering staff.
- Ensure Century System Practices are communicated and adhered to.
- Stay abreast of industry issues and technologies through continuing education and actively participate in state and local industry committees/forums.
- Supervise staff by appraising performance, training, administering salaries, and communicating department objectives.
- Work with the Division staff in the operations of the Division to achieve established Telephone Group objectives.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of communications industry experience in networking area
- Demonstrates leadership and advanced technical knowledge as the primary leader directing work
- Ability to travel as much as 35%-45%
- Experienced in the bidding, negotiation and approval of engineering, installation and construction contracts with multiple internal and external customers
- Possess in-depth knowledge of ISP/OSP equipment and designs
- Comprehensive knowledge of network technologies spanning the switching, access, and transport portions of the network
- General understanding of the Advanced Intelligent Network, SS7 Network, and other nontraditional local exchange network technologies
- A valid driver’s license required
- Master’s degree with Telecommunications concentration preferred
- Possess a detailed working knowledge of packet switching, X.25 and X.75 protocols, IEEE 802.X protocols, OSI reference model, frame relay, SMDS, and ATM switching
- Possess a detailed understanding of digital switching topics such as space division switching, time division switching, blocking probability functions, and multistage switching.
- Understand digital transmission topics such as PAM, PCM, Nyquist theorem, line coding, framing techniques, and time division multiplexing.
- Working knowledge of the SS7 protocol, CCS network architecture, trunk signaling requirements as specified in Bellcore TR-394 and TR-317, function of the LIDB service, operation of the 800 database service.
What to Expect Next
Based on your job application information you may be given the opportunity to complete a video interview immediately after applying. This will include a set of questions for you to record a response to in addition to Game Challenges. Completion of this video interview is a requirement in order to be considered for our open position. Now not a good time? No worries, we will also send you an email with a link to complete the video interview. We strongly recommend that you complete this within 5 days of your application date.
Requisition #: 310433
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.
This position is eligible for either short-term incentives or sales compensation. Director and VP positions also are eligible for long-term incentive. To learn more about our bonus structure, you can view additional information here. We're able to answer any additional questions you may have as you move through the selection process.
As part of our comprehensive benefits package, Lumen offers a broad range of Health, Life, Voluntary Lifestyle and other benefits and perks that enhance your physical, mental, emotional and financial wellbeing. You can learn more by clicking here.
Note: For union-represented postings, wage rates and ranges are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreement provisions.
This information reflects the base salary pay range for this job based on current national market data. Ranges may vary based on the job's location. We offer competitive pay that varies based on individual experience, qualifications and other relevant factors. We encourage you to apply to positions that you are interested in and for which you believe you are qualified. To learn more, you are welcome to discuss with us as you move through the selection process.