The Assistant Right of Way Specialist works in the easement procurement process related to distribution or transmission right of ways supporting the Right of Way Specialist and other team members to identify the owners of land parcels, existing easements, rights contained and recordations.
It is highly desired that the individual knows how to plot metes and bounds legal descriptions and be able to deduce subject areas from larger tracts of land.
The individual must be comfortable with online database research as well as paper files where necessary.
The incumbent must obtain and maintain a Notary Public seal for the States in which services are rendered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs legal title examination, survey or legal description writings.
- Using working knowledge of real estate law along with engineering knowledge in applying solutions to acquisition projects.
- The review and interpretation of engineering drawings, site plans and legal descriptions in connection with the preparation of legal documents; and the review, tracking and processing of easement documents.
- Lead and maintain the document control and retention process for easement acquisition process.
- Obtains appraisal and preliminary title reports prepared by independent appraisers and title companies to determine present and future value of property affected by proposed facilities; makes recommendations regarding appraised value for purchase or acquisition of easements and fee title.
- Conducts negotiations with property owners for the acquisition of rights of way, easements, construction easements, facilities and appurtenances;
- prepares and reviews legal descriptions, easement documents, deeds and other documents associated with property acquisition or sale;
- prepares agenda items for approval of land purchases and right of way acquisitions.
- Assists with the condemnation process where necessary; prepares legal documents for inclusion in condemnation packages submitted to court.
- Conducts or directs the recordation of legal documents for easement acquisitions;
- prepares and maintains records of property purchase or sale and acquisition easements for right of way.
- Assists in preparing reports for weekly project status meetings and reports on the status of right of way acquisition and research progress.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regular attendance is required
- Required: High school degree or GED.
- Preferred: A Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or University in Business Administration or related field of study
- 3-5 Year(s) Experience in title research or real estate related paralegal field.
Certifications, Licenses, and Registrations:
- Public Notary is required. Real Estate or Professional Paralegal license preferred.
- Employees new to the position will be required to gain full working knowledge of the systems and processes used in the full performance of the job which may include attending seminars, on the job with other incumbents to the role or corporate workshops.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, Business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret spread sheets.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
Other Skills and Abilities:
The following skills are required for this job:
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to deal and work well with a variety of individuals from various backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and follow through on assignments
- High energy level with ability to work in fast paced, ambiguous environment
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- High commitment to achieving goals and plans
- Demonstrated skill in verbal/written communications
- Professional appearance required at all times
- Team oriented
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Power Point
- Self Motivation
- Microsoft Excel
- Real Estates