TITLE: Lead Test Engineer
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, and Everett, WA - USA
TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living standards globally through a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006, TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical production of medical isotopes.\u202f TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Lead Test Engineer
TerraPower, LLC. Is seeking a highly motivated Test Engineer to support the testing operations of the Fuel Handling System for our Sodium Fast Reactor. You will act as a lead test engineer assisting with engineering and full-scale laboratory testing activities.\u202f The prime responsibilities include supporting the design and execution of testing relating to the fuel handling system.\u202f You will develop test plans, instrumentation selection, data acquisition and control, testing activities, data analysis and documentation.
- Will serve as lead test engineer supporting experimental design, operation, repair, and analysis of tests to evaluate the Fuel Handling System, with an emphasis on mechanical systems.
- Design instrumentation for testing, based around data acquisition control hardware and software, to meet experimental test objectives.
- Develop and document test plans, test designs and test procedures for experimental work.
- Conduct data analysis and generate test reports.
- Support continuous learning\u202fand application of nuclear industry best practices in order to maintain the\u202fhighest quality of engineering design and proactively identify process change/enhancement opportunities.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering; Advanced degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in a test engineering role.
- Familiarity with reactor fuel handling systems.
- Experience with molten sodium systems a plus.
- Experience conducting mechanical analyses (deflection, stress, natural frequency, etc.)
- Experience working in a laboratory environment.
- Experience in design and integration of data acquisition and control system platforms.
- Experience in design and application of experimental hardware, instrumentation, and engineering laboratory practices.
- Experience writing test plans and procedures.
- Experience with post-processing and documenting experiments.
- Experience in hands-on fabrication, machining, assembly, welding is a plus.
- Experience with multiple types of testing (R&D, Acceptance, Validation, Qualification)
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists in a research environment.
- Ability to analyze and run experiments critically from limited instrument feedbacks.
- Ability to handle projects that include multiple objectives and ability to resolve conflicts between objectives.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently during a given work week.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Safety conscience.
- Ability to work with minimum direction to solve challenging research and development problems.
- Experience in the nuclear industry is a plus.
- Nuclear design experience and working under a certified NQA-1 program preferred but not required.
- Military experience is a plus
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position.\u202f These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation.\u202f Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations.\u202f An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be\u202fdiscussed and workplace\u202faccommodations may\u202fbe made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to work in a laboratory setting with fluctuating temperatures
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-5%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Please visit [ Link removed ] to apply