No industry is moving faster than health care. And no organization is better positioned to lead health care forward. We need attention to every detail with an eye for the points no one has considered. The rewards for performance are significant. You'll help improve the health of millions. And you'll do your life's best work.(sm)
The Manager, Strategy & Growth is the overall project lead across moderate-complexity engagement types and is responsible for determining overall approach and structure of analysis for engagement and key deliverables. The Manager will need substantial industry knowledge and will serve as the driving force behind team problem solving to help the clients identify strategic priorities, improve financial and market performance, rationalize services, and meet the many challenges that health care reform gives them. The Manager will assign workstreams to team members and self that reflect skills and development needs while meeting the needs and timelines of the client. This role will have a focus on project economics and will direct team to follow the practices needed to ensure both quality and profitability.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Overall project lead across moderate-complexity engagement types (or workstream lead for higher-complexity engagements)
- Ability to accurately diagnose the issues the client has identified (as well as underlying issues) and determine the appropriate strategic solutions
- Build consensus among client stakeholders who play a critical role in the client’s ability to successfully implement the identified solutions
- Responsible for determining overall analytical approach and structure for engagement / workstream and including key deliverables
- Spend time coaching team members to develop approaches for their own sections when appropriate, reviewing and validating their work for accuracy and effectiveness
- Principal point of day to day contact for client project lead
- Establishes optimal communication cadence with client and demonstrates sufficient executive presence to lead onsite presentations
- Assigns workstreams to team members and self that reflect skills and development needs while meeting needs and timelines of client
- Focuses on project economics and directs team to follow practices needed to ensure both quality and profitability
- Closely monitors actual vs. expected team utilization
- Effectively and appropriately apply both deductive and inductive thinking
- Provide subject matter expertise to other Optum Advisory Services business units as it relates to strategic planning
- Provide support to other Optum Advisory Services business units when strategy expertise is required in dealing with client issues
- Communicate effectively and accurately in writing and verbally to prospects, clients, and other staff
- Demonstrate strong relationship management skills and ability to handle challenging interpersonal situations
- Contribute to practice-level initiatives including business development and thought leadership beyond client project work
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Relevant Advanced Degree (MBA/MPH/MHA) with 3-6 years consulting experience OR Undergraduate Degree with 5-8 years consulting experience
- 3+ years of experience in either management or strategy consulting including client relationship management experience
- 3+ years of Healthcare, payer and/or provider, life sciences experience
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite - Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Familiar with variety of problem-solving approaches
- Ability to travel domestically, up to 60-80%
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Graduate level degree in business or healthcare
- Highly prefer payer and/or provider experience
- Background in healthcare consulting
- Experience managing projects that achieved budget and timeline goals
- Possess analytical reasoning and solution-focus problem solving
- Ability to lead and motivate cross-functional teams
- Experience mentoring junior level staff
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to drill down to the root cause of issues and be creative in problem solving
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Strategy Consulting, Remote, Telecommute, work from home, manager, consulting, strategy